Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Our Dream Vacation: the first 11 days

Sitting here in our motel room, resting up from the day.  This vacation has been wonderful, but I'm plumb tuckered out!

We have seen some of the most beautiful country I could ever imagine on this trip.  From the wheat fields of Nebraska and the Black Hills of South Dakota, to the vast rolling hills of Montana and the heavily forested mountains of Idaho.  Then finally to the awesome peaks of the Tetons and the snowy wonderland of Yellowstone.  The colors found in Yellowstone are so incredibly vivid:  the blues of the rivers and the dark green of the pines against the white backdrop of the snow.  I am looking forward to seeing more over the next few days!

The wildlife has been outstanding!  Dennis and I have always enjoyed viewing animals in the wild.  Being able to see critters that aren't found in our neck of the woods is such a thrilling experience for us!  Even seeing the little chipmunks and birds are a treat.  We love seeing the wildflowers and blooming trees, too.  Then the waterfalls are breathtaking!  I've seen things that I'd thought I'd never see outside of books and photographs.  I am so incredibly thankful for this amazing opportunity!

We've also met a lot of interesting people along the way.  The Lakota flag lady in South Dakota.  The gas station attendant in Montana who was stationed in San Antonio during basic training.  The professional photographer in Jackson who shared with us the location of "the most photographed barn in the world" and his wife, who was from Midland.  The helpful rangers who told us where to go to have the best chance of seeing wildlife.  Plus many, many more that we've encountered in the various places that we've been. 



The first snow we saw was in Nebraska.
We've seen prairie dogs all over!
These cute little guys were in S. Dakota.
We've seen whitetail in every state we've been in except Oklahoma.
We started seeing snow topped mountains in Montana.
Idaho had gorgeous rivers and forested mountains.
We fell in love with the Tetons (but not the wind!)
We were SO excited to see these big boys!
Of course, no trip to Yellowstone is complete without seeing Old Faithful.
You have to be fast to get a picture of these little guys!
I'd seen hot springs before, but these were BOILING!
The power of Yellowstone Falls was awesome!
 
We met an owl today.
...and a peregrine falcon.
...and saw the most beautiful cherry trees!

1 comment:

  1. Don't you just love the beauty of God's creation? I appreciate it so much.

    ReplyDelete