Wednesday, Day 217: Last
night we watched (again) “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.” I love Frank Capra movies! We live in such a corrupt and cynical world,
and it is so refreshing to watch a movie full of idealism and decency. Current movies and TV shows try to portray life “as
it really is” with all its violence and immorality and dishonesty. We are constantly bombarded with images of
corruption and greed and selfishness that make up our political system. How nice it is to go back to the optimistic
and compassionate views of Mr. Capra. (I
realize that the movie was controversial in its time and was thought to portray
a pessimistic view of our government.
However, I believe it simply contrasts the corruption that is a real part
of the system with the idealism that one honest man can make a difference for
the better.)
I love the speech that
Jefferson Smith gives during his filibuster…especially the following: “There's no place out there for graft, or
greed, or lies, or compromise with human liberties. And if that's what the
grown-ups have done with this world that was given to them, then we'd better
get those boys' camps started fast and see what the kids can do…Great
principles don't get lost once they come to light. They're right here; you just
have to see them again!"
So today I am thankful for idealism and for those who have chosen to portray the beauty and goodness in life. Would to God that more people would stand up for truth and virtue! We need a good many “Mr. Smiths” in our nation!

No comments:
Post a Comment