I think the most dominant characteristic of retirement over the past couple of weeks is "exhausting". We have one week until we leave on vacation, then 4 days after we return, to get our den and guest room ready for company. We have been working feverishly to try to make that happen! We actually have company coming this weekend, but it is family. Things don't have to be "perfect" for family! But we are trying to get the den done enough that we can set it up as a temporary guest room for Stephen and Mandy. Then we'll try to get the flooring in next week before we leave, so we can start moving furniture. Then I should be able to get the old office fixed up for our October meeting company. It won't be completed, but it should be "acceptable".
So...here is what we've done, so far. We put up (most of) the trim on the outside of the shop and got it (mostly) painted...enough to protect it from the weather. Dennis finished putting up all of the outside lights on the shop and den, as well as all of the ceiling lights in the den. We got the built in bookshelves (in the living room) boxed in and painted...just haven't made the shelves, yet. We paneled the den and are now working on the coffered ceiling. We hope to have it completed tomorrow. (Trim will have to wait until a more opportune time!) Friday, we are supposed to go pick up a bed for the guest room (and the new headboard for it is being delivered).
We are LOVING the new shop! It makes things so much easier. It isn't finished out inside yet, but it is very operational. We have worn a path between it and the den, hauling lumber and paneling back and forth between the two. Dennis really did a good job designing it!
Before, when I heard people talk about being busier after they retired than before, I was very skeptical. These past couple of weeks have made me a believer! Dennis and I are both about worn to a frazzle. We are certainly looking forward to our vacation!
I am not including pictures this time, because I want to wait and show the finished project. I remember, back when I was still doing cakes, Dennis would sometimes come look at a cake I was working on. He would be skeptical about what it was going to look like. After applying the finishing touches, however, he would be happy with the results. An unfinished project can look pretty rough...up until the final touches are applied. So...I'll wait until things look a little more polished!
Other than remodeling, we also spent Labor Day weekend at our usual gathering. We always enjoy our visits with everyone...as well as all of the wonderful food! And, as I mentioned, our kiddos and grandson are supposed to be here this weekend. It has been a couple of months since we last saw them. I can tell from the pictures I see that Jesse has been growing and changing like crazy! I can't wait to see him!
Well, I guess I'd better get some rest, so we can get back to work in the morning. I'll try to do regular updates on our trip. We are hoping to have some gorgeous pictures to share!
No comments:
Post a Comment