Monday, November 16, 2015

CASA trip, Anniversary plans, and a surprising change in our lives

Fall has finally arrived around here!  Temperatures have dropped (somewhat) and it is raining often.  The trees have really started turning over the past week.  It looks like we might have a prettier fall than I had thought.  I guess all of the rain we've gotten in the past month is paying off!

We are still working on trim in the den.  It is a slow process...having to paint each piece and let it dry before applying it.  All of the baseboards and crown molding are finished.  Dennis also got one (of two) windows trimmed over the weekend.  So one more window and three doors still need to be trimmed out, plus a bit more caulking and painting on the ceiling.

We made it out to the state park one day last week.  Dennis wanted to see if the bald eagles had arrived yet for the winter.  We hiked along the lake, close to the rock climbing area, which is a rugged trail.  My legs were sure sore the next day from all of the climbing.  Didn't see any eagles yet.

Well, Dennis and I finally joined the 21st century and got smart phones last week!  Dennis told me he wanted to get me one for our anniversary (which is this Thursday).  I spent 2 hours on Wednesday looking at phones and plan options from our provider, AT&T.  I finally found the deal that I wanted and got my order in.  First thing Friday morning, I received an email from them canceling my order, with no explanation as to why.  That was the last straw!  I told Dennis we were quitting AT&T, so we spent the morning comparing other providers.  We finally decided on Metro PCS, which is a prepaid plan.  We both got Samsung Galaxy phones (same model, so we only have to learn to use one kind!).  The price of the phones was good, and we are paying $25 less a month for this new service than we were before for just voice and text service!  We have spent the last few days learning how to use our new phones, which has really been easier than we expected.  I think we both are going to enjoy them!

Friday afternoon, I met up with Sheila at her apartment after work, and we headed south for a CASA visit.  It was really nice having several hours of uninterrupted time in the car to catch up with each other!  We made it to our room in San Marcos a little after 10.  Then I got Sheila to help me learn a bit more about how to manage my new phone.  We had our visit the next morning, ate lunch and then headed home.

We enjoyed a wonderful Lord's Day yesterday!  Layne spoke in the morning on being content and trusting God's will.  As always, he did a great job!  Then Ricky spoke yesterday afternoon on godly sorrow and repentance.  I was so proud of the job he did.  He has grown so much over the past year!  Brings tears to this momma's eyes to hear him give such a wonderful lesson.

Wednesday afternoon, Dennis and I are planning a quick trip back down to the Hill Country for our anniversary.  We have a room reserved in Copperas Cove that night.  We will try to find a nice restaurant there for our anniversary dinner.  The next morning, I want to go back to Colorado Bend State Park and hike down to Gorman Falls, weather permitting.  Afterwards, we'll head over to San Saba Pecan Company to buy some of this year's crop.  We have always been very pleased with the pecans we get there...and the friendly service!

This is the time of year when things get pretty busy.  Thanksgiving is just next week!  I'm looking forward to getting started on my cooking.  I'm hoping we have the den finished out and our new guest room operational before the kids all get here.  Whether we do or not, it will be great to have the whole family all together!

No comments:

Post a Comment