Sunday, May 27, 2018

A Memorial Day Weekend that we'll NEVER forget!


What a weekend! We left early Friday morning and made it to Stephen and Mandy’s about 10:30. It was so good to get to spend some cuddle time with little Gracie! She is growing so fast! Dennis and Stephen went to the office for awhile to take care of business, while Ricky and I played with the boys and held Gracie. Mandy fixed us a wonderful lunch, and then it was time to hit the road again.

We got to Benton around 5:30, so we went to our hotel and got checked in. Then we grabbed a quick supper and headed to the church house. We had time to visit with a lot of folks before time for the service to start. Ken gave a good lesson, and then we spent a lot more time visiting with more folks. Dennis and I headed back to our room, and Ricky went to Sarah and Jeremy’s house for the weekend.  Saturday morning, we enjoyed a good lesson from Logan and then spent the day at Warren and Linda’s. They had a water slide and bounce house for the little ones, and plenty of chairs in the shade for us older ones. The guys provided two great meals for us:  burgers and hotdogs for lunch and a shrimp boil for supper! (Not to mention the homemade ice cream!) If anyone didn’t have a good time, they had no one to blame but themselves. There were a lot of wonderful people to visit with, and a couple of sweet babies to enjoy, too!

We got to bed around 10 or 10:30 Saturday night. I went right to sleep and slept hard until my phone woke me around 12:15. Stephen told me that Gracie was sick in the ER and they were fixing to transfer her to Children’s Hospital in Dallas. They thought she might have meningitis and needed to do a spinal tap. We had a bad connection, and he didn’t have much time to talk, so I didn’t get many details. I tell you for certain, that is NOT how you want to get woke up from a sound sleep! I couldn’t sleep after that, so I got on my phone and started researching meningitis in infants. That probably wasn’t the best decision I’ve ever made! I was really scared after that! After praying for Gracie and her parents, as well as for my own peace of mind, I finally settled into a fitful sleep. I would wake up every hour or two and send a text to Stephen to see how things were going. He finally stopped answering me around 6:30 am, when they got Gracie settled into her room in Dallas. I figured they were finally trying to get some sleep, so I got in a couple of hours myself. Then about 8:30, I received a phone call from Daddy saying they were taking Bobbie to the ER because she was having trouble breathing. I contacted Charles and Linda, since they were supposed to be driving them to services, and let them know what was going on. Then I messaged Tonette to get more details. I thought it was going to be her “normal” anxiety problem, but it turned out to be some small blood clots in her lungs. They originally planned to admit her to the hospital, which really had Daddy upset. They ended up, however, putting her on a new blood thinner and sending her home.

We planned to leave immediately after the morning assembly, so we could go check on Gracie. The Salem congregation had their services organized with the Lord’s Supper before the lesson. Since Jamie was speaking and we had already heard the lesson he was going to give (last Sunday), we decided to leave after communion and get a head start on getting to Dallas. I still hadn’t heard anything else from Stephen and was getting pretty nervous and upset. So we took off and headed south. About an hour down the road, we finally heard from Stephen, and Gracie’s fever was gone. She was resting well and they had ruled out bacterial meningitis. They still wouldn’t know for another 40 hours whether it was viral meningitis or not. After five hours on the road (and going to the wrong hospital first), we finally made it to the right place and got to see Gracie for ourselves and get all of the details from Stephen and Mandy. Gracie looked good, still didn’t have any fever, and was eating well and sleeping a lot. They still don’t know for certain that it isn’t meningitis, but nobody really thinks it is. At her age (just one month old), they just have to be very careful and make sure because just about any kind of infection can lead to meningitis or septicemia (since their little immune systems are so undeveloped). We still won’t know until the culture results come in tomorrow, but it is looking more and more like she will be ok and get to go home after the results are in. What a relief! I know I will sleep a LOT better tonight after having seen how well she looked.

So it was a great weekend, but also a terrifying one! I tell you what, I can’t seem to leave town without SOMETHING bad happening! But all in all, I’m very glad that we made the trip. It was good for all of us. And I am very thankful for the prayers and concern of SO many people on Gracie’s and Bobbie’s behalf! I love and appreciate every one of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment