I took Daddy back to his pain management doctor last week.
The procedure that he had done on his back in March is no longer effective. They plan
to repeat it next Tuesday. I hope it lasts a bit longer this time. He really
doesn’t need to take prescription pain pills for several reasons…one being
because of his kidneys. He also can’t take ibuprofen for the same reason. Now his
liver enzymes are elevated from using so much Tylenol. Getting old is rough!
I found a new snack recipe last week that I’ve been making a
lot of. You slice apples thinly, sprinkle with a little sugar and cinnamon and
bake for 2-3 hours at 200⁰. Dennis and I love them! Nam will eat one or two, but isn’t
a big fan. I think it is my favorite way to eat apples. I have to be careful
though…I can eat more than is good for me! I also cooked up a large batch of jerky
since the weather has turned cold. I put up a gallon for when everyone is here
Thanksgiving, and we’ve been snacking on the other gallon. I love using my oven when it is cold outside! It helps warm the house without having hot air blowing on me.
Last Thursday, since Gina was keeping Nam, I planned a date
night. We haven’t been on one in months! I’ve been wanting to see the movie, “Indivisible”.
We caught a matinee and then went out for a steak dinner. The movie was really
good, but it was SO sad! I blubbered pretty much all the way through it. Even
Dennis liked it (and I did see him wiping his eyes a time or two!). It shows
how hard it is on those who are deployed in a war zone…AND on their families.
We had a pretty quiet weekend. I stayed in all day Saturday,
cooking jerky. Dennis went hog hunting and killed a couple…just to get rid of
them. The folks were the only ones who had dinner with us on Sunday. Rick went
out to eat with friends. So it was a very low-key day.
I’m supposed to go back to get another injection in my
shoulder on Wednesday. I’m hoping it will last a little longer this time. Part
of the problem I had last time was working on the guest room…doing overhead
work. It is really hard on that shoulder to hold my arm up…especially when I’m
bearing weight with it. I will have to make sure I’m more careful this time. The injections are supposed to last about 3 months (which is how often they can be given).
Thursday, we plan to butcher deer. That is our “day off”
from keeping Nam, so it is the logical choice. I do NOT think he is ready to “help”
with butchering yet! We have a big buck to process, so it will be a good 3
hours or more of steady cutting, grinding and packaging. If Nam were here, it would
probably add an additional hour!
Next week will be pretty full. Sunday night, Sheila, Nam and
I are spending the night in a downtown FW hotel, so we can watch the Christmas
Parade. Monday is Dennis and my 41st anniversary. Tuesday is Daddy’s
back procedure. Wednesday and Thursday will be busy with Thanksgiving baking
and cooking (and making Nam’s birthday cake). Then family will all be here for Thursday
night through Saturday. We’ll be having Nam’s party sometime during the time Stephen’s
family is here. It is convenient to have his birthday fall at Thanksgiving, so
the family is already together. But it does complicate preparing for it and
Thanksgiving at the same time! Things are going to be quite loud and busy with all of the kiddos here.
Since it will be so crazy next week, I’ll go ahead and wish
you all a Happy Thanksgiving now! Enjoy the wonderful food and family time…and
be sure to be thankful for all of your blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment