Had another Care Plan Meeting this morning for Dad. He is doing ok, but we can all see a slow, steady decline in his physical and mental state. In our meeting this morning, I mentioned that he missed activities sometimes because he forgot what time or day it was. So they said they would have the activity director go to his room each time to let him know what was happening. I’m hoping he will do more things that way. I bought him a clock last week (thanks, Paula!) that is made for dementia patients. It shows the day of the week, the date, the time of day (morning or afternoon), and the time in big lighted print. He says it is helping him keep up with times and days better.
Medicare ended last week, so we are back on private pay, and he isn’t getting his therapies anymore. They will probably start him on restorative therapy three times a week to help keep him from losing strength. He fell in the wee hours this morning, while getting up to go to the restroom. He is ok…just banged up his hand. He was having trouble with his hip yesterday, so I imagine that is probably what caused him to fall. I tell you, it sure gets your heart racing to get a call at 4:20 am from the nursing home!
One way that I know the clock is helping is that Dad was waiting on us yesterday morning when we went to pick him up to take to church. He hasn’t done that in months! (He is usually asleep and seems a bit confused when we wake him to go.) When we got there yesterday, “the front porch crowd” told us that he had been outside and had just gone back in. The nurse told us the same thing as we passed her station. When we got to his room, Dad was sitting in his chair and barked, “Why didn’t you pick me up for church this morning?!” We told him that’s why we were there…it was only 9:37. I don’t know how long he had been waiting outside, but it must have felt a lot longer than it was! On our way down the hall he jerked, which is when his hip “caught” and started hurting. The nurse gave him some Tylenol for pain before we left. I had to give him some more at lunch. He hasn’t been taking anything for pain in a long time! I’m hoping this will be short-lived.
Yesterday was our monthly potluck, and Dad always enjoys going to those. One thing he still enjoys in life is eating! I started sitting on the back row beside him since he tried to do his little disappearing act last week. It works out better all around for me to be close by to keep an eye on him and help him when he needs it. He is much more accepting of my help lately…doesn’t get angry all the time like he used to. I think, in some ways, he understands that he really needs my help now. He has been fiercely independent up until now and resented me doing things for him. I’ve had to walk a tightrope, trying to do what needed to be done without stepping on his toes more than necessary. It is nice now that he seems to welcome my assistance (for the most part).
I’m making my second batch of yogurt today. We all really enjoyed the batch I made last week! I add vanilla and some monk fruit sweetener to the whole batch after it is made and strained. Dennis likes to just add fresh blueberries to his. I like mine with a little lime zest and juice (just needs some graham cracker crumbs and it would taste just like key lime pie!). I also like mine with fresh berries and sliced almonds…kind of like a parfait. It is pretty simple to make…just takes a long time for the process (8 hours for the fermentation, and then straining it overnight). I’m looking forward to trying it out on the littles. I’ll probably stir some strawberry preserves into theirs to sweeten it up to their liking.
Plans are underway for our October meeting at Highway. It will be the last weekend in Oct…the 25th-27th. Ron Dunavant, Charles Baxter and Richard Newhart are going to be our speakers. We’ll have a Friday night service (7:30, I think), a Saturday morning service (10:30) followed by a day of activities at the Pettits’, then our normal Sunday morning service, with a potluck afterwards, and a singing service that afternoon. We are going to have to get busy when we get home from the wedding, to get ready. I’m going to be fixing up a second guest room (which will also be our grandkid room).
I am still waiting on fall weather to arrive! Even though it is no longer getting up into the 100’s, the highs keep reaching up to the mid-90’s. With all of the summer rains we’ve had, though, our grass is still green and flourishing. Dennis is looking forward to cooler nights, so he doesn’t have to keep mowing every week! I’m waiting for the mornings to be down in the 60’s or low 70’s, so I can start getting some walking or biking in.
Well, I guess I’d better get some cleaning done. Fun times! Take care now, y’hear?!
No comments:
Post a Comment