We have had visits with all of our littles! We went to Paris a week ago yesterday. We just drove over for the day. We had a great visit with Stephen’s family! The kids are growing up so fast…especially little Gracie. I wish we’d had longer, but we were so happy for the time that we had with them. Stephen and Dennis did some work out in the barn, and I visited with Mandy and played with the kiddos. We hadn't seen them since the end of January, so we soaked up all the loving we could. Hopefully we won't have to go that long again between visits!
Sheila allowed Nam to come for a sleepover Thursday. We met up that morning, so we had him for most of two days. It was just like old times! I baked a batch of snickerdoodles before he came, and sent what he didn't eat home with him yesterday to share with his family. I really love cooking for that kid! He’s such a good eater and loves his Granny’s cooking. He and Grandad played all of their old games. We read from some of Nam's favorite books before bedtime. The littles never get tired of reading "OOH and AAH" (and I never get tired of reading it to them!). Grandad made him a wooden dagger while he was here (he is always making something from wood for one of the grandsons). Nam took it with him to Sutherlands when he went with Grandad to pick up some supplies. Dennis noticed he stuck it under his shirt while they were in the store. As soon as they left, he pulled it back out. Dennis asked him about it, and he told him he didn’t want to scare anyone!
I took Nam home yesterday and then went for a CASA visit. I was concerned about the drive home afterwards, through FW during rush hour, but I really didn’t have any trouble. I actually enjoyed the drive. I had my music playing and was singing along and enjoying being out and about. It really has helped my emotional volatility to be able to spend time with my family and others again. I didn’t even cry when I took Nam home! (When his family came to visit a couple of weeks ago, I lost it when they were leaving!) I guess social isolation had more of an effect on me than I realized.
Dennis is doing great on his diabetic diet! He has lost 15 pounds and his blood sugar is doing much better. He plans to start bicycling again, which will help even more. He has had to avoid bike riding for the past year, since it was a possible contributing factor to his elevated PSA. We discussed it with his oncologist when we were there for his biopsy results, and he told him he could start riding again…just stop about a month before his next test. He has also lowered his blood pressure and has been able to get off his medication for that.
Dennis has been getting supplies together for jug fishing out at PK. We love eating bream (which is what he mainly catches using a rod and reel), but they are so messy to eat and we aren’t comfortable serving them to the rest of the family (especially the littles) because of the bones. So he is concentrating on trying to catch catfish. He went out for the first time Wednesday. He caught a couple of catfish and quite a few perch, which he plans to use as future bait. We had enough catfish fillets (with what he caught, plus a package from the freezer) that we fried up some on Thursday, when Nam was here. That kid loves fish as much as his Grandad does! Dennis hopes to take him out with him on his next visit. He showed him all of the floats and hooks and lines and explained the process to him. He is looking forward to trying it out!
I’m taking a lazy day today. The past couple of days were pretty busy, and I usually need some time to rest up after having grandkids. Sheila loaned me the book “Just Mercy”. I watched the movie a couple of weeks ago. She was reading the book at the time. She said it was even better the movie. It breaks my heart to think about the injustices that still go on in society. People can be so cruel and ugly. No matter what “side” you are on in the whole upheaval that is going on right now, I hope most people can see that kindness and mercy and justice are the answers to societal ills. How to achieve that in this old sinful world is up for debate. As long as hatred and bigotry and violence prevail, things will continue to degrade. In my opinion (for what it is worth) people need to do a lot less talking and a lot more loving!
Stay safe and be kind!
No comments:
Post a Comment