Monday, June 27, 2022

Family Time, Crafting and New Closets

 Good morning! I am SO thankful for the cool front that came through yesterday. Woke up to a nice 72 degrees this morning, and a projected high of 91 (instead of 100+). We are not supposed to hit the 100 degrees mark all week, for the first time in about a month. The cooler temps and change in wind direction seems to be helping the firefighters on the Dempsey fire, too. It is now 27% contained and holding steady at about 11,600 acres. 

Sheila's family came over last night to celebrate her 36th birthday. It was great to visit with them! She and Nam had been to a camp sponsored by their adoption agency. Nam loved it! He even got to play the drum while leading the lion dance (which he has ALWAYS loved!). We had shrimp etouffee, artisan sourdough bread, and lemon supreme pie for dessert. YUM! I had to cut Nam off at just one piece of pie...he kept begging for a second! But I sent the leftovers home, so he probably got to have a second piece before bedtime.

After a solid month, my styes are finally gone. I was beginning to think my eye would never get back to normal! It wasn't really bothering me the last couple of weeks, but you could still see (and feel) the bump on my lower lid. I really hope that is my last experience with that! Other than that, I've been feeling pretty good (for an old woman). I went for my checkup a couple of weeks ago, and my doctor was very pleased with everything. My BMI finally dropped below 30, which significantly lowers my risk from heart disease or diabetes. I've lost almost 60 pounds total and am MUCH more active than I was a year ago. My blood pressure and heart rate are the best they have been in decades. I'm enjoying my new "lease on life". 

I finally finished Nam's rag quilt, pillow sham and decorative pillow set. I did show him the picture of it, but have stashed it away for his birthday (at his request). Now I'm working on Shepherd's and finally got the design worked out for Jesse's. If you'd asked me a year ago if I would ever enjoy ANY kind of sewing, I would have said "no way!" I'm really glad that I decided to give it a try!

I have also started a new craft, called slow stitching. It is kind of a cross between applique and embroidery. It is a free-form type of stitchery that is meant to tap into one's creativity and also provide a means of relaxation and mindfulness. I'm really enjoying it! 

We really enjoyed our little road trip with Nam earlier in the month! We picked him up in FW and headed east to Tyler. We stopped at Pancho's (one of the 2 or 3 left in the DFW area) for lunch, which we all enjoyed tremendously. The first night we just stayed in and chilled in our hotel room. "Chitty, Chitty Bang-Bang" was on when we got settled, so we watched that. Nam loved it! The next day we went to the Caldwell Zoo and the Discovery Science Center. The zoo was fun, but Nam LOVED the Discovery Center! It was a gigantic indoor playground. There were so many different "sets" for kids to play in... a restaurant, grocery store, courthouse, bank, hospital, vet's office, firetruck, etc. There were also different science activities to engage in. Nam's favorite was a play area with giant foam blocks. He loved building structures to play in! We spent 3 hours there and could have stayed longer. We would love to go back sometime and take all of the grands.

Dennis completed my closet last week, and I've started "moving in". I've moved all of my clothes and shoes in there. Today I plan to start moving "stuff" onto the shelves. That will take quite a bit of planning and reorganizing! I have SO much space to utilize! I love having my own space, since he moved all of his things into his new closet. He was also able to fit all of his hunting clothes/accessories into his closet. That helped clear out some of the stuff that has been stored in his den for so long! Closet space is WONDERFUL! 

I also need to empty out our bathroom and reorganize the hall bathroom, so we can move into it. We have already been using the hall bathroom, exclusively, because our shower developed a leak. We've moved our daily essentials, but I haven't done a real overhaul like needs to be done. Since Dennis will begin demo-ing our bathroom this week, it is time to do a major restructuring. I love seeing everything taking shape!

The camp meeting starts this weekend. I'm so looking forward to seeing everyone! We don't plan to leave until after church Sunday morning, since our congregation is so small. We should be able to make the evening assembly though and stay through the Tuesday morning assembly. Then we plan to head over to Russellville to get some "Archer-time". I'm ready! I've really been missing that little guy.

I guess that pretty much sums up what's been going on around here. I hope you are all managing to stay cool during this extreme heat. I hope to see some of you soon. Stay safe and be kind!


No comments:

Post a Comment