Monday, September 26, 2022

September Fun

 Fall has finally arrived! Not the cooler temperatures, mind you, but the actual season. We are getting a bit of a reprieve this week, though. The high was in the 80's today, and it is supposed to drop into the 50's tonight. Last week was HOT!

We got our new windows installed on the 8th. I love them! I haven't gotten an electric bill since then, so I don't know how much, if any, difference we'll see on our bill. But I think it will eventually make a big difference! The new windows are so pretty that we are keeping the blinds open much more and enjoying the view. I love this picture window in the small guest room!


On the 16th, I had planned to go to a quilt show in Weatherford. I got up that morning and got into my morning routine, when it hit me...maybe Diane was available and might want to meet me there. Sure 'nough, she was and did! We met up for lunch and then headed over to the show. It was quite a treat! Beautiful works of art to enjoy, plus the company of a dear friend. Good times!

I finished Jesse's quilt and made matching pillows for both him and Shepherd. It feels so good to get those projects completed! Shepherd's birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks. We plan to take his quilt to him on our way up to Arkansas next month. It just happened to work out that the night we are planning to be there, Stephen and Mandy had dinner plans, so we'll be watching the kids. I love it when that happens! Looking forward to some special time with those three!

When we leave Paris, we'll head up to Ricky and Amber's a couple of days before Archer and Dennis' birthday parties on the 15th. I wanted to be there to help Amber get everything ready. If nothing else, I can entertain Archer while she does what needs to be done. It's hard to believe that he is almost a year old! (He'll actually be almost 11 months old at his party...we are celebrating early.)

Speaking of Archer and his folks, they were down this past weekend. Amber's family all came to town for a get-together and zoo trip. Rick and Amber came a day early and spent one night here before meeting up with the Hays bunch at a guest house in Santo. Archer is at such a fun age! He is so much more sociable now...as well as mobile! He's very well behaved though. Even though he was tempted by a couple of things, he kept his hands off! He loves to play...and eat! I had made a double batch of snickerdoodles for the weekend. It was his first time to try one. He is a fan! I took the rest to the zoo on Saturday, where we met up with the whole bunch. It was fun watching the littles (Archer and his cousins) enjoy the animal exhibits. When something particularly caught Archer's eye, he would do his funny little wave at it! He really liked the giraffe, the flamingos and the rhino. The flamingos were squabbling, which I guess sounded a little like music to him, so he started dancing "with" them! 😁After a couple of hours, when everyone was hot and tired, we all went out for lunch together and visited even longer. It was a good day!



Dennis is making good progress on the vanity in our dressing area. We picked up the hardware Saturday on our way home from FW, and he has all of the drawers assembled. He still has the cabinet door to do, plus painting everything. I really like the way it is turning out. We are going to have SO MUCH storage!


Last week I made a new deer lovey for Archer. Rick had contacted me a couple of weeks prior to that asking if I could make another one. Archer has about worn out the old one! Of course I was happy to comply! It warms my heart that he enjoys it so much. When they arrived Thursday night, he was a bit shy. But when I held out his new lovey, he was quick to grab it! Now Amber has a spare for when one needs washing. (She still had the ear that he had pulled off the old one, so I was able to repair it.)


I also started making some fabric "ragged" pumpkins last week and added the finishing details today. I'm happy with the way they turned out. For my next project, I plan to do something with an old UFO (un-finished object) that my Granny started when she was a young woman. My Aunt Coez had given it to me years ago and made me promise to finish it someday. It was intended to be a flower garden quilt. The material, I'm sure, is old flour sacks and scraps from clothing. My idea is to sew them onto muslin and make a lap-sized quilt. I haven't decided if I'll do it rag quilt or traditional style. I'm a little nervous to try doing a "real" quilt! I'll have to take some time and work out some ideas on how I want it to look, and what I think I am able to do.

Saturday, when we got home from the zoo, Dennis discovered a shed snakeskin in our front yard. It is about 3 ft. long. I sent a picture of it to Sheila to show Nam. She immediately texted back that he wanted us to save it for him! He is supposed to come a week from Friday for a sleepover. So it is waiting for him on our "window seat".



As I was going outside to snap the picture of the snakeskin, I noticed a large sphynx moth on the screen of the garage window. They are so neat looking! So, of course, I had to get a picture of it, too! I do enjoy critters.



That's pretty much what has been going on around here this month. I hope that all is going well with y'all, and that you are enjoying the early days of fall!

Ps 104:24 O LORD, how manifold are thy works! in wisdom hast thou made them all: the earth is full of thy riches. (KJV)




No comments:

Post a Comment