We like to go to San Saba in November to get our year’s supply (or more) of pecans. We first stopped at the San Saba River Pecan Co. 30 years ago on a trip out to San Angelo to go hunting. We loved visiting their store, and their pecans are the best we’ve ever had. So we’ve been going back ever since. My supply from last year is almost gone…not enough to get me through Thanksgiving…and we had some down time waiting on our shower base to come in, so we decided to drive down this morning to get some. We drove through several rain showers both going and coming. Hoping some of them make it here! We saw some color on the trip, nothing vivid, but still pretty. We also saw a handful of deer (not counting roadkill). We usually see a lot more wildlife. Not sure why they weren’t stirring more today.
We stopped in Goldthwaite for lunch and decided to browse
through the Mills County General Store afterwards. What a little gem! It has
just about anything you might need. I picked up a couple of bottles of Mrs.
Meyer’s liquid hand soap in scents that I don’t usually find elsewhere. I also
found a cute little bundt pan that will work perfectly for a volcano cake that
I plan to make later this month for Nam’s birthday. Then we made it to San
Saba. We loaded up with lots of pecans both for us and as a gift for some
special friends. I also picked up a couple of jars of their preserves…one
Jalapeno Peach and Pecan, and one Cranberry Chili Pecan. (I love spicy jelly!)
We stopped on our way back to MW for a little blizzard treat and still made it
home by 4. Such a nice day!
Like I mentioned, our home remodel is pretty much on hold
right now until our shower base is delivered. In the meantime, Dennis has done
a little hunting. He killed a doe in bow season and got a spike (actually a 3-point)
Saturday, which was opening day of gun season. Both are aging in our spare
frig. We had to buy a new one this year. About a month ago, we noticed a
terrible acrid smoke smell coming from the garage. It was our old frig that I
had bought for my cake business when we were in Nacogdoches…probably 25 years
or more ago. We decided it wasn’t worth trying to repair, so we found a good
basic refrigerator on sale to replace it. I’m sure glad we noticed the problem
before it actually caught fire! (And it was right before we left town for
several days!)
Last weekend (Oct. 29) we took a short trip to East Texas. We spent Saturday night in Nacogdoches. We made it to town early enough to drive around and see how much things have changed and/or stayed the same. We drove by 3 houses that we used to live in. I couldn't believe how good the little duplex looked that we rented when we first moved to Nacogdoches 44 years ago. It was new when we rented it, and it still looks exactly the same! So nice to see a place that has been so well cared for and maintained! Sunday morning we went to church at Rocky Hill. It was so good to be back and visit with the folks that are still there. It has been too long since our last visit! The Trekell family invited us over for a quick lunch before heading out to the cemetery for Johnnie's memorial. My heart breaks for the family...especially for Larry. I don't know what he'll do without his lifelong sweetheart.
I finished my 2nd vintage rag quilt from the blocks that Little Granny had made and gifted it to my cousin Gwen.
I had one block left and turned it into a pillow, which a gave to another cousin.
![]() |
| front |
![]() |
| back |
I also made a ragged snowman pillow (for myself).
I’m now working on another rag quilt for one of my kiddos. After finishing all of the grandkids’ quilts, I told my kids that I’d make one for any that want one. I have four “orders”…three lap quilts for individuals and one “double” for Stephen and Mandy. It is so much fun figuring out what patterns I want to do and then finding the perfect fabrics for each project!
Take care, be kind, and enjoy the changes of the season!
Ec 3:1 To everything there is a season, A time for every
purpose under heaven: (NKJV)




No comments:
Post a Comment