Monday, January 2, 2023

All Good Things…

Well, the holidays are past; and it’s time to get things back to normal. I have thoroughly enjoyed this season, but I’m tired and ready to slow down a bit. I also need to get back on my diet!

December started out with Dennis and I going to Bass Hall to watch My Fair Lady. It was so fun to get dressed up and go out…first time in SO long! The play was great! I am so thankful to my kiddos for getting me the season tickets. I really enjoy the whole experience of stage performances. I am looking forward to watching Lion King in a couple of weeks.

I had my carpal tunnel surgery on the 9th. Everything went very well. It has been a much easier recovery than other surgeries that I’ve had! I am pretty much back to normal now.  I should be able to get it wet by the end of the week, which will be SO nice! I have already been able to start cutting and sewing and crocheting again…with no numbness! So thankful!

Dennis and I both had crowns come off during December. (Our dentist said he sees a lot of that this time of year due to the rise in consumption of toffee and caramels!) Dennis’ crown broke in pieces, so he had to have a temporary one put on until his new one can be made. Mine was able to just be recemented back on. Dennis also went to his endodontist and scheduled his implant surgery for the 21st. Sure hope it is successful this time around!

We went to Paris on the 16th to visit Stephen’s family and take them their presents. It was fun to play with the kids and see them open their gifts. The next week, Nam came over for a 2-night sleepover. Of course, we always enjoy his visits. He helped me bake a couple of different kinds of cookies. Dennis had made slingshots for all of the guys, so he and Nam enjoyed practicing together with theirs. Sheila, Matt and Caleb came over on Friday to pick up Nam. We had tamales for supper, then drove around looking at Christmas lights before they headed home.

The next day we went to visit with Ricky’s family in Santo. Layne has a place there, where his family stays when they come visit. Joe and Leanne’s family were all there and had invited us to come spend some time with them. It was good to visit with everyone and spend some time with Archer. Rick and Amber came to Eastside for church services the next morning, which was a treat for our bunch. Then they came to spend a couple of nights with us on Monday. Dennis and I watched Archer Monday night, so Rick and Amber could go on a date. He did SO good! The next day we went to visit my Aunt Coez, who had come home from the hospital on Monday. It was really good to see her feeling so much better! She really enjoyed getting to finally meet Amber and Archer. Afterwards, we met up with Leanne, Linda, Becca and the girls for lunch and some shopping downtown. I just love the neat shops that have sprung up in our town’s revitalization!

We were very pleasantly surprised yesterday morning to have several visitors show up for church service with us at Eastside. The Brock congregation had cancelled their service due to a family with COVID, so three of their members joined us, one of which was Sue’s 99 year old mother. It was such a treat to get to visit with her! She is such an amazing lady. She still lives alone, cooks for herself and others, and works on quilts every day. Her mind is still sharp as a tack. Mark and Karen also showed up unexpectedly. After services, they went out with us for our weekly Whataburger, and then came over to visit a little longer. Not long after they left, Sheila’s family came over for our annual seafood boil and key lime pie. We all look forward to that every year! Such a nice way to begin the new year!

Dennis is heading out this morning for his last hunt of the season. It has been a few years since he went muzzleloader hunting in East Texas. He still has one tag left, so he decided to head down for a couple of days to try to fill it. He killed a nice doe last week, which we plan to take to Stephen’s family this weekend. Stephen was too busy to do any hunting this year, and they really enjoy having the meat, so we are happy to share what we have with them. Dennis loves to hunt, and we love being able to provide venison to our friends and family who enjoy it like we do.

I’m looking forward to a few days of peace and quiet while he is gone…no schedules to meet, being able to eat what I want, when I want, and not having to clear my sewing stuff off of the dining room table for a couple of days. I have started working on the new baby’s quilt and hope to get a lot done on it this week. I finished Amber's quilt in time to give it to her for Christmas. I also made her a matching apron. (I think she liked them!) I also started working on my temperature blanket for this year. It is a crocheted afghan which  records the temperature every day using a color coded system. I heard about them about halfway through last year and loved the idea. I did a digital version for 2022 just to get an idea of what it might look like. I’m keen to see how it works up!

Amber's rag quilt

reversible apron


I hope all of you enjoyed the holiday season and have a very blessed 2023!

Nu 6:24-26 "The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you, And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you, And give you peace."' (NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment