Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Jury Duty

Well, I ended up with egg on my face last week.  I went to report for jury duty and discovered that I was a week too early!  I guess that is better than being a week too late.  So I reported back on THIS Monday morning and was selected to serve on a jury.  The trial started and finished on Tuesday.  It was a criminal offense, but not a violent one...drug possession.  I learned a lot about the judicial and penal system in Texas.  Our district judge believes in educating his jurors, which I really appreciated.  It was pretty much an open and shut case.  The woman was obviously guilty and needed to be placed in custody, but it was hard to see her being lead away in handcuffs, crying.  I hope and pray that she uses this time to get herself cleaned up.  This was her 4th drug conviction.

We had our fundraiser for the Fistula Foundation on Saturday.  Our turnout was pitiful...just five people showed up, aside from the three of us.  However, we were able to broaden the awareness of this problem and raised some money.  We gave everyone a couple of weeks to tell their friends and family, hoping to generate a little extra income before we send in the donations.  Everyone who watches the video is deeply affected by the suffering of these young women.

The guys had another all afternoon study on Sunday, so I invited a few ladies to come over for lunch and visitation all afternoon.  Nancy and her kids, Anita and Jacob (her grandson), Linda W. (who drove over for the fundraiser), Karen, and the girls (plus Rebekah, who had spent the night with them) all came over.  We had a good afternoon of visiting, and the kids had a blast playing together!  Daddy and Bobbie showed up at Highway that evening, so they went with the group to Rosa's for supper.  We had over 30 eat together.  Since it was Layne's birthday the next day, we sang a energetic rendition of "Happy Birthday" to him at the restaurant.  Good times!

The weather is amazing!  Yesterday I carried a lunch with me to jury duty and ate it at a park.  It was so nice and cool.  Today I mowed the yard and barely broke out in a sweat at all.  I really enjoy the fall (even tho my nose and sinuses don't).

Our girls' weekend is this week...I can hardly wait!  Paula will be arriving late Friday night, Lord willing.  I think our plans are to visit the museums in FW on Saturday and then attend a play at Casa Manana.  We plan to attend services at Jarvis Heights (which isn't located in JH anymore) and then do some sightseeing in downtown FW that evening.  Monday will be zoo day.  Looking forward to fun times and much laughter!  I love spending time with my girls and Paula.

I finally got my "birthday present" in last week...my new range hood.  Dennis starts a 2 week vacation this Saturday and plans to install it for me during that time.  I'm looking forward to having venting capabilities again!  Dennis will also be bowhunting while he's off...and taking care of odds and ends getting ready for our meeting (the 24th-26th).  The time off from work will be really beneficial for him.  This has been a long, hot, difficult summer.

Bobbie has surgery on her right wrist next Tuesday.  There was a bone in her hand that was out of place and not healing, so they will have to insert a plate and two screws to repair the damage.  The good news is that she won't have to wear a cast.  She is getting better at using her left hand.  I know she looks forward to being able to do her normal activities again!  Please keep her in your prayers.

Isa 44:23 Sing, O ye heavens; for the LORD hath done it: shout, ye lower parts of the earth: break forth into singing, ye mountains, O forest, and every tree therein: for the LORD hath redeemed Jacob, and glorified himself in Israel.

No comments:

Post a Comment