Monday, September 12, 2011

Another week closer to fall!

I've really been enjoying this cooler weather!  It feels like fall is just around the corner.  We have a few more days of predicted 100+ temps this week, but I'm hoping that will be the last of this record breaking heat.

I went to see the cardiologist last Tuesday.  My EKG and echocardiogram were both good.  He wanted to go ahead and schedule me for a stress test (this Wed.)...just to be sure everything is fine.  He's not worried about finding anything...just playing it safe!  I had my bloodwork redone on Thursday and my cholesterol has dropped about 20 points - both the LDL and total cholesterol.  So no medications are needed!  I've been reading a book about preventing Alzheimers, which has some dietary and exercise recommendations.  I've been trying to incorporate them into my regular diet/exercise regime.  The diet is pretty much the regular heart-healthy plan with special emphasis on getting plenty of anti-oxidants and omega-3 fish.  I'm not able to do everything it recommends (I think you'd need to be in a higher income bracket than I am to do so!), but am trying to fit berries, cruciferous and green-leafy veggies into my daily diet...along with my oatmeal and apples.  TRYING to do tuna or salmon a couple of times a week, too.  I've always feared developing Alzheimers and I really want to do all I can to try to avoid it...for my family's sake!

I took Sherlock for his first checkup last week.  He is perfectly healthy and they guestimated his age at about 5 months, which means he is old enough to be neutered.  He has an appointment to go in the morning for that.  He has turned out to be a pretty good kitten, although he is a big crybaby!  He is pretty well-behaved, for a cat, and so gentle and loving.  I enjoy bringing him in to hold in my lap while I'm relaxing...such a stress reliever, having a purring cat to pet.  I've avoided having a pet for a long time, but I'm glad I decided to go ahead and take the plunge again.

Had a crazy day at my volunteer job Thursday!  I'm supposed to be training to become a client adviser...processing the paperwork, determining eligibility, and helping direct them to the appropriate organizations that might be able to help them.  It was so busy last week, that I mostly just sat around and watched the madness.  One lady came in (on her day off) to help and brought her two little boys with her, so I ended up being their babysitter for the first hour or so.  I'm beginning to understand the process a little better, but there is still so much to learn.  I'm not sure how long it will be before I'm ready to start advising.  The thought makes me pretty nervous!  I've been tempted to change my job to just data entry and office help, but advisers are what they really need the help with...plus I REALLY want to work with the clients.  It is just a big step for me out of my comfort zone!

I spent most of the day Friday working on Renee's 30th birthday cake.  James planned a big surprise party for her Saturday night at the Fields' house.  She was TOTALLY surprised!  There was a great turnout:  about 30 adults and close to 20 kids.  It was a lot of fun. 

I have another full week ahead of me this week, Lord willing:  Sherlock's appt. tomorrow, my stress test in FW Wed., working at C of H Thurs., and doing another cake for a "stag party" Friday (the stag party is going to be at the shooting range, so the cake will be a gun!).  I'm fighting a bit of a cold, so I hope my energy level stays high enough to accomplish everything planned.  I hope everyone's week goes well!

From yesterday's lesson: 
Jas 4:13 Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain: 14 Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. 15 For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that. 16 But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment