Monday, October 24, 2011

"I'll Fly Away"

What a week!  It all started late Tuesday morning when Sheila called to see if I could go to FW with her.  She had a recall notice on her car and was able to schedule an appointment to get it fixed at 2:00.  We grabbed a quick lunch and drove to the Honda dealership on the west side of FW.  While they worked on the car, we did a little shopping.  It worked out perfect.  They called to tell her it was ready just as we were finishing up at Mardels!  I made it home just in time to throw together some supper for the four of us.  After supper, the girls and I worked on their costumes:  a "spelling bee" for Sheila and an owl for Jessica.

I spent all day Wednesday cooking up jerky.  Then James came over so he and Dennis could study with a couple that have been attending services with us for several months.  That night, just as we were about to go to bed, we got a call telling us that they had CareFlighted Dee Jordan to FW after a massive heart attack.  We were awakened the next morning to a phone call letting us know that she has passed away.  Such a shock!  Her Alzheimer's had been worsening, but no one expected her heart to give out like that.  It was a blessing that she died so peacefully, but poor, dear Winston is absolutely heartbroken!  Thursday was a whirlwind of phone calls, cooking and visiting...then crashing that night.  Friday morning, I started preparing for the kids coming in for the weekend and funeral.  Anita had had a rough day on Thursday, so I invited her over for lunch and visit Friday afternoon.  Their family has really been going through a hard time lately and the stress is really working on her.  (They just took her mom back to the hospital this afternoon.  Her diverticulitis has her where she can't keep anything in her stomach.  She keeps getting dehydrated and losing weight.  Please keep her in your prayers!)

Stephen and Mandy got here just in time for supper Friday night.  They had a wonderful trip to NH and Maine.  Ricky came in Saturday night...just in time for supper!  It was great having my kiddos all home.  It is a rare occurrence these days, so I treasure every minute!

Thiess had asked Dennis to speak at Eastside Sunday morning, so Dennis asked Stephen to fill in.  It was good to see everyone there, and Stephen gave a very good lesson on "hospitality."  Ricky wanted to spend more time visiting with our Highway family, so he attended there that morning.  Evening services were cancelled for the family visitation for the Jordan family Sunday afternoon.  Stephen and Mandy left after visitation, while a big group of us went for our usual Sunday night dinner at Rosa's.

We awakened this morning to a gray world...pretty fitting for how we were all feeling as we went to Dee's funeral.  The fog was so dense, it was scary to get out on the highway...visibility was extremely low!  Everyone made it safely, however, and we all said our goodbyes to a dearly loved lady.  Ricky headed back towards Arkansas right after the service.  We set out dinner for the family afterwards.  I finally headed home around 2:00.  An exhausting weekend, both emotionally and physically!  So thankful for my family and my church family though.

Today's verses are in memory of Dee...she was one of the most hospitable ladies I've ever known:
Ro 12:10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;  11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; 12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer; 13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment