It is my favorite week of the year...Thanksgiving! I'm too excited to
sleep tonight...went to bed early (for me) and my mind wouldn't turn
off. So here I am! Making last minute plans and lists...tweaking menus
and schedules...and thinking about my blessings, in general. I have so
much to be thankful for!
This year we have 13 planning to be here for Thanksgiving
dinner...unless I can convince another one or two to show up. Ricky
won't be able to come home this year since he has to work on Friday, but
I'm thankful he has a second family in Arkansas that he can be with.
Stephen and Mandy will only be here for one day this year because of
Mandy's new job. I will miss our special time with them that we usually
have over the long weekend, but life has a tendency to get in the way
sometimes. I'm always thankful for the time that we that we DO have
with them. Daddy and Bobbie will be here...we always love having those
two lovebirds around. We are excited to have Charles and Belinda's
family coming this year and bringing Dennis' mom. I've always loved
LARGE Thanksgivings...the way it was when I was growing up. Thirteen
isn't anywhere near the number that we had back then (25-30 was more
like it), but it is moving in the right direction.
I loved our Thanksgivings at Granny's house! All of my mom's family
would be there: Granny & Granddaddy, all my aunts and uncles and
cousins. There would be two tables set up in the kitchen and long
picnic tables (for kids) in the living room/hall area. And the food! I
really don't know how we fit it all on the tables. Granny would bake
every kind of pie you can imagine...she stored them on shelves in her
bedroom where it always stayed cool. After thoroughly stuffing
ourselves and cleaning up the dishes, it was time for all of us cousins
to head outside. ( With that many kids around, the adults made us stay
outside most of the time...but we didn't mind!) We'd usually head out
to the "woods". (I didn't realize until I was grown that our woods were
nothing more than mesquite flats.) What grand adventures we had!
Sometime during the weekend, we'd usually have a game of Red Rover in
the back yard. It was the "extreme" version...our family didn't go easy
on anyone! No tv or "store-bought" games for us. As we got older, we
might join in with the adults to play dominoes or 500, but our best
times were spent outside.
Well, I really need to try to get some sleep. I have a lot of work to
do before Thursday. I hope you all have a safe and happy Thanksgiving
and take the time to enjoy the blessings of family and friends and home!
1Th 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

No comments:
Post a Comment