Friday, December 21, 2012

200 miles, 10 hours, and a full heart later

I set aside all day yesterday for visiting.  I wanted to visit my CASA kids and take them a little something and also check on the Foxes.  I started out by going to see Jim in the hospital.  He is in a regular room now and doing ok.  He is still very weak.  They were able to sit him up on the side of his bed for a short time...he did get light headed tho.  His spirits are pretty good, but he realizes the long road ahead that he has to navigate.  Hoping that he is able to recover enough to begin rehab soon.

After leaving the hospital, I headed down to see my babies.  It was my first visit since the last week in November.  Where has the month gone?!  They are both looking so good.  I took a little stuffed lamb to my 21 month old little girl.  She loved it...hugging it and carrying it everywhere...all the time with that sweet smile all over her face.  I took a small stuffed bear to my 10 month old little guy.  He still doesn't use his hands much at all, but I could wrap his arms around the bear and he would try to stuff it in his mouth...giggling all the time.  I got so many smiles and giggles and sweet loving from him.  I would squeeze him to me, giving him kisses on his sweet smelling head, and he would giggle and snuggle closer.  Talk about having your heart melt!  I love those little kiddos so much!  If I could, I would bring them home and keep them.  I will miss them terribly when they go up north to live with their grandma, but they do need a stable, PERMANENT home.

On my way back to MW, I stopped off at Mary's house for a "quick" visit (I never can pull that off!).  This ordeal with Jim is so hard on both of them.  Jim has always handled their business affairs, and now Mary is having to learn to handle that...as well as making all those trips back and forth to FW.  She's no spring chicken anymore either!

I went straight from her house to the foster home of my teenage girl to spend a little time visiting with her before observing her visit with her parents.  I never thought I'd enjoy taking on a case involving a teen, but this "drama queen" has also stolen my heart.  I also took her a teddy bear (CASA supplied all the stuffed toys through donations) plus a couple of other things I thought she'd like.  I had a good time catching up with her and then spent another half hour visiting with her foster mom and cottage "sisters".  It was nice to have the time to get to know her new temporary "family".  It is a special person who decides to become a foster parent.  This couple moved down to Texas from Nebraska to take a cottage in this foster home community.  They are so very patient and dedicated to the children placed in their care!

 Then it was time for the scheduled family visit, which went really well.  My girl got really emotional.  Even tho this foster home is a very good experience for her (allowing her a "normal childhood" for a change), and she is really enjoying her time and experiences there, she still misses and loves her parents and wants to go home.  I am hopeful that both "sets" of parents involved will learn a lot from their "services" and create a stable, loving, SAFE environment, so that their kids can be returned to them and they can have a good life together. 

I finally made it home about 7:30 last night, grabbed a quick bowl of stew, and then documented everything from the day.  I "chilled" the rest of the evening and then turned in a little early.  It was a good but exhausting day!  I broke down briefly, talking about my day with Dennis.  This is a very emotional job but, oh, so satisfying!  These kids break my heart, but also fill it.

Mt 19:13 Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them. 14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment