I’ve been reading the book, “Twelve Years a
Slave.” I’m ashamed to admit that I
never made it through to the end. I
struggle with reading certain styles of writing, and it was one of those. So I gave in last night and watched the
movie. (WARNING: This movie is NOT for everyone. I had to fast-forward through several
parts. I understand the desire for
realism, but is it REALLY necessary to include EVERYTHING?! The book was written with dignity and decorum...I wish the movie had been made in the same context!)
This was a VERY difficult story to
watch! I think I had a look of anguish
on my face throughout the whole movie and had to look away at times out of
sheer horror (and I do not have a weak stomach). This portion of our nation’s history is such a
shameful time. I've always tried to learn more about it through literature and cinema. I made my kids watch "Roots" when they were still young, so they would have some understanding of the evils of that period. I had read that this movie was one of the most historically accurate renderings ever produced. While we were watching
it, Ricky asked if I thought there were really very many people who treated
their slaves so cruelly. Yes, I
sincerely believe there were. (This WAS a true story, written by the man who experienced it. I don't believe he embellished it at all. His integrity shone throughout his writing.) You look
around at the world today and see so much “meanness” and selfishness. Imagine how that would be amplified if people
were given that kind of power over others…in a society that taught that certain
people didn’t even have souls. Even the “good”
master selfishly turned his eye from the truth and allowed a free man to be
bought and sold as chattel.
So today, I am so very thankful that our society has outlawed this terrible evil. I realize that some of the prejudices still exist. I also realize that there is another brand of slavery that is present in this country, even though it is outlawed. Cruelty and selfishness are alive and well, but at least it isn’t sanctioned by our government (in this context, anyway).
Deuteronomy 24:7 If a man be found who hath stolen one of his brethren of the children of Israel, and who hath treated him as a slave and sold him, that thief shall die; and thou shalt put evil away from thy midst.

No comments:
Post a Comment