Last week I posted about being thankful that our society looks after the well-being and safety of abused and neglected children. Today I want to look at some of the people in that system.
I had a very "interesting" day yesterday. My new CASA case had a hearing scheduled at 9 a.m. in Weatherford. This is my first case in Parker County, and things are done quite a bit differently over there than in Palo Pinto. Before your cause number is called, the participants meet in the conference room to go over the case facts, review new information, etc. In the meeting that was conducted on my case were the lawyers for both parents, the Attorney-ad-litem (the attorney appointed by the court to represent the child), the CPS investigators and their supervisor, plus myself. I was struck by the concern exhibited by each and everyone of them for the child involved.
Let me explain a little about the process. When a complaint comes in, CPS (which is actually DFPS in Texas - the Department of Family Protective Services) sends out a team of investigators, usually 2 people. They try to determine what has happened, take pictures of the scene, and decide whether the circumstances warrant removal of the child(ren). There is usually one investigator that takes the lead on the case and basically works as the caseworker during this initial part of the case. They present a report to the court at the Adversary Hearing citing why the removal was necessary and requests that The Dept. be made Temporary Managing Conservator of the child(ren). After the Adversary Hearing, the case is turned over to a CVS - conservatorship caseworker. (This is a very simplified explanation.)
Back to my story: after the hearing, the lead investigator was going to pick up the child from the foster home to bring back to the CPS office for a visit with each (biological) parent. I like to be present to observe these visits, because it can give you a lot of insight into the relationship of the family by watching how they interact. It was going to be about an hour and a half before the visit (due to travel time), so I asked if I could accompany her. That would also allow me time to hear, first hand, her narrative of the events in the case...perhaps picking up a few more details than were in the report. (CASAs receive copies of all reports filed by CPS.) I am so thankful that I had that opportunity! The investigator is a young woman who has been with CPS for a couple of years. She has a love/hate relationship with her job, which I believe is probably pretty common. You see so much of the ugliness of our society in a position such as that! However, there are moments when you really feel like you are making a difference in helping change the life of a child...which makes the job seem bearable. We had a wonderful visit during our drive. I got to know her as a person (which I would have never had the opportunity to do otherwise), I got a better insight into the case, and I also had another opportunity to spend time with our little girl...win/win/win!
When we got back to the CPS office (with our precious cargo), the mother and child had an hour long visit. The visits take place in a room filled with toys and have a one-way mirror which allows observation by the CPS caseworker, CASA, attorneys, etc. This case has generated quite a bit of interest in the Dept., so we had several people drifting in and out...the case supervisor, the new CVS caseworker, and other caseworkers. After the mother's visit was completed, the biological father had an hour long visit with the little girl. His attorney stayed to observe most of the visit, as well. (Believe me, the observation room can get pretty crowded at times!) During all of the events of the day, I was continuously encouraged by the strong sense of caring for the little girl involved in the case. Everyone's heart was touched by this adorable child, and everyone felt a strong desire to protect her and do everything they could to see that she will be placed in a safe and loving home.
People tell me all the time that they don't see how I can do this "job." All they can think about is the ugliness that necessitates it. There is so much more to it than that! I see beautiful, precious children that are amazingly resilient. I see broken homes that are repaired. I see caring professionals who dedicate their lives into protecting the innocent. True, sometimes things don't work out well. Sometimes the system fails. Sometimes children are too broken and things don't end well for them. It takes a toll on everyone. The turnover rate for CPS workers is phenomenal! But when the day is done, I mostly see a community of people who work together to make the life of an endangered child better. For that, I am very thankful!
Jeremiah 22:3 Thus saith the LORD; Execute ye judgment and righteousness, and deliver the spoiled out of the hand of the oppressor: and do no wrong, do no violence to the stranger, the fatherless, nor the widow, neither shed innocent blood in this place.
No comments:
Post a Comment