Monday, November 3, 2014

"I Can Only Imagine"

Day 327:  Ron gave a really good lesson yesterday on heaven.  He used an analogy about the bible being like a small gap in a privacy fence that allows us a peak into it.  It got me to thinking about heaven and what I think about the most.

Heaven is described as being a beautiful place.  I am one who really appreciates beauty.  I love seeing the beauty of nature, beautiful images in print or onscreen, beautiful designs in architecture and other things that man has created.  And yet, it isn't the beauty of heaven that I think of and long for.

When we have a meeting like we did a week ago, people always mention how the singing and fellowship give us a small taste of what heaven will be like.  Being with beloved Christian friends and family forever...never being parted...is a wonderful thought!  And yet, it isn't what I think of and long for.

We often talk about how we will no longer suffer any pain or sorrow in heaven.  We won't grow old.  As I watch so many of the people I love go through the sufferings of old age, the thought of that ending and no longer being a consideration is such a comfort.  And yet, it isn't the thing that I most long for.

When I think of heaven and my soul yearns for it, it is being in the presence of Jesus that I long for!  Being able to see Him face to face and to know Him as He is fills my heart with unspeakable joy.  Being in the presence of God and feeling His love completely envelope me is what I desire most of all.  I read a book by Ted Dekker once that gave a good analogy about this.  (His books are really weird and I usually don't really understand all of his imagery, but this one point was well conceived.)  There was a lake in which people could immerse themselves, which flooded them with an all encompassing feeling of love.  To me, that is what heaven will be like.  I have felt love in this life that made me feel like my heart would burst from overflowing.  I have had tears flow down my face from overwhelming love.  But feeling the love of God, IN PERSON, and living in it FOREVER...I can't imagine anything better!  And THAT is what I am most thankful for.
 
  • I can only imagine what it will be like
    When I walk, by your side
    I can only imagine what my eyes will see
    When your face is before me
    I can only imagine
    I can only imagine
  • Surrounded by your glory
    What will my heart feel
    Will I dance for you Jesus
    Or in awe of you be still
    Will I stand in your presence
    Or to my knees will I fall
    Will I sing hallelujah
    Will I be able to speak at all
    I can only imagine
    I can only imagine

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment