Thursday, January 8, 2015

Analogies and metaphors make for interesting reading!


I love the analogies and metaphors that are used in the Bible…especially those found in the book of Proverbs.  Some are very poetic, and some are just downright funny.  I want to share a few of my favorites.

Psalms 18:2  The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.

This is a beautifully poetic verse that is so very comforting!

Psalms 19:9-10  The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

I love these verses!  If only we would truly desire the judgments of God more than the finest of gold or honey.

Proverbs 14:4  Where no oxen are, the crib is clean: but much increase is by the strength of the ox.

When I read this verse, I think of having a house full of children…and one devoid of them. 

Proverbs 16:31  The hoary head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness.

Another one of my favorites…such a beautiful image!  It makes me think of all the dear, older Christians that I admired so.

Proverbs 25:19   Confidence in an unfaithful man in time of trouble is like a broken tooth, and a foot out of joint.

I have definitely “felt the pain” described in this verse!  Makes you think twice when someone turns to you in time of trouble.

Prov. 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.

We are used to the version of this used in the New Testament (2 Pet. 2:22) describing one who returns to his sin.  Here we see that as disgusting as a dog is to eat his own vomit, so is a person who continues in their foolishness.

Prov. 26:17 He that passeth by, and meddleth with strife belonging not to him, is like one that taketh a dog by the ears.

I love the imagery of this verse.  We all know what to expect if we yank on a dog’s ear…we are just asking for trouble.  Such is the result of sticking our nose into other people’s arguments!

Proverbs 27:22  Though thou shouldest bray a fool in a mortar among wheat with a pestle, yet will not his foolishness depart from him.

Here, Solomon deals with a foolish man again.  They are a tough lot to deal with!

Proverbs 11:22   As a jewel of gold in a swine's snout, so is a fair woman which is without discretion.

This is one of my all-time favorites!  I wonder what all of the indiscrete women of the world would think if they knew there were being compared to a gold ring in a pig’s nose?!

Just a little bit of the beautiful…and interesting…language found in the scriptures.  Hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment