Friday, December 18, 2015

Camping, crafting, CASA and STAR WARS


I love it when the nights are good and brisk!  Last week, we spent one night camping in the state park.  It was cold enough that we were comfortable sleeping in sweatpants, inside our double sleeping bag, with another sleeping bag and blanket on top.  I slept like a baby!  The worst part was having to get up in the middle of the night and bundle up to hike to the rest room.  We had to go as a couple, since I couldn’t get out of the sleeping bag without Dennis getting up!  The cold weather had the deer really moving.  Tuesday morning, we got up just before dawn and drove around the park for optimal viewing.  Then after breakfast, we walked about 3-4 miles, so we could take pictures of what we saw.  It was a quick trip, but we really enjoyed it!  First time I’ve been camping in I don’t remember how many years!

Been pretty busy with CASA the past couple of weeks, but I’m about done till the first of the year (except for observing visits 1 hour/week).  I’ve finally gotten all of the kids’ angel tree gifts delivered.  All I have left is the one who lives down in the Hill Country.  I still need to get another gift card for him and mail everything…hopefully Monday.  The kiddos have really made a haul again this year!  My babies not only got a lot of toys, but a WHOLE lot of clothes, too.  So thankful for the generosity of strangers!

We’ve gotten a little work done on the shop the past couple of weeks.  We put up most of the interior walls.  We need to buy more materials before we can finish.  Dennis has also been trying to finish up the outside painting.  He’s also been working on getting the second bookshelves painted.  I’ve started a new project for the guest room.  I’ve been saving up material to make a crazy quilt pillow to go on the bed.  I got it all pieced and am currently working on the decorative stitching.  The piecing went a lot easier than I expected…once I finally figured out what I was doing.  It is definitely different from any other quilting I’ve ever worked on!  I also have a large doily that I’m planning to use to make a second pillow.  I have a small curtain that I crocheted for our bathroom in Nacogdoches that I want to turn into a wall hanging, also.  Haven’t quite figured out how I want to do it though.  I’m really enjoying fixing up my “vintage room”. 

Well, we are having to change the way we eat around here.  Dennis went for his yearly checkup Monday.  His blood sugar has gradually been rising for the past several years.  This year it was high enough for the doctor to decide to do that test that checks the average blood sugar over the past 3 months.  Well, it came back in the diabetic range.  I guess his genes (and love of carbs!) has finally caught up with him.  I’ve been getting rid of all of the starchy snacks that he loves to munch on (crackers, pretzels, chips) and buying a lot more whole grains and fruits and veggies.  No more DP or sweet tea, either!  We both ought to lose some weight!  We’ve done this in the past, for a few months, until we had lost 30 pounds or so, but then we’d always go back to “normal”.  Well, this is going to have to be the new normal now!

Sheila came over after work last night, and she, Ricky and I went to watch the new Star Wars movie.  I have looked forward to the movie, but I think I was looking forward to watching Ricky watch it even more!  That boy LOVES Star Wars!  It didn’t disappoint.  It had the same “feel” as the originals…which I have enjoyed since Episode 4 came out in 1977.  I hope the next two (I’m assuming this will be another trilogy) are as good.

This weekend the girls (Heather and Cara) are spending the weekend with Sheila.  They’ve been getting together for Christmas for YEARS now.  It took awhile for it to dawn on me that I wouldn’t get to see them this time.  In the past, they’ve come over for supper one night and usually ate Sunday dinner with us.  Now with Sheila living in FW and attending HC on Sundays, I wouldn’t get a chance to visit with them.  So we are heading over to HC on Sunday, so we can see them and get to spend a little time with them.  Love those girls!

Next Tuesday is the “make-up” Josh Groban concert that Sheila and I have tickets for.  He was supposed to have been here last month but had to reschedule due to illness.  Sheila bought me the tickets for my birthday this year.  I have always loved Josh Groban’s voice!  I’m really looking forward to hearing him “live”! 

Well, it is a quiet Friday night around here.  Rick is out (as usual).  We’ve been in FW all day (and it has been a pretty busy week), so all I feel like doing is rearing back with my feet up and relaxing.  I may work up enough energy to do a little stitching on my pillowtop.  (I do still have clothes in the washer and dryer, so I’m not completely through for the day!)  I hope all of you have a good weekend and a very merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment