Monday, January 18, 2016

Update and Zoo pics

"Baby, it's cold outside!"  Brrr!!!  At least, here, we are enjoying beautiful sunshine and no wet stuff.  The cold weather sure makes me want to hunker down and hibernate.

Had a busy week last week with CASA visits and court.  Since the court hearing was for Sheila and my shared case, she came over Monday evening and spent the night.  I warned her, that when I have a case on the docket, it is usually the last or next to the last one called.  Sure 'nough, we spent all morning waiting for our case to come up!  It was nice to have the time together though.

The weather was perfect (although quite chilly) on Wednesday, so Dennis and I decided to use the tickets to the FW zoo that Jessica had given us.  The animals weren't very active, but we enjoyed our trip.  We also got some pretty good pictures.  There was a brand new baby gorilla that we got to see and photograph, which was pretty special!





The last time I wrote an update, I was about to go see my new foot doctor.  On my way to her office, as I was approaching my exit off of I35, a truck in front of me had a blowout.  The blown tire landed right in front of me, and I didn't have time to do anything other than just run over it.  Immediately afterwards, I started noticing a noise and smell of hot plastic, so I pulled over on the shoulder.  After checking to make sure all of my tires were ok, I started looking underneath the car.  There was a large piece of plastic sheathing that was broken and bent and dragging.  The front bumper was also broken.  I got down on my hands and knees and tried to work the piece off, but I couldn't get it.  I tried to call Dennis, but he was in East Texas, hunting, and didn't have cell reception.  So all I could do was drive on to the doctor's office, dragging all the way and hoping nothing important was damaged.  After I got finished with the doctor, I drove to a nearby Kwik Lube and asked them to check it out.  They removed the sheathing of plastic and made sure everything else was ok...and didn't charge me a thing!  We took the car in Friday to get an estimate on repairs.  It is amazing what a little plastic costs!  Still waiting on our insurance company to ok the repairs before taking it back to the shop.

I really did like the new foot doctor.  Unfortunately she isn't going to be able to give me any better prognosis for post-surgery recovery.  Since the spur is so large and is growing into the Achilles' tendon, the surgery will be pretty extensive.  I will have to be in a cast for about 4 weeks, then another couple of weeks in the boot, then physical therapy.  I'm just waiting to schedule surgery until after Shepherd comes home.  Until then, I have to wear a splint at night, plus an insert in my shoe.  They both seem to be helping with the pain.  I'm not limping quite as badly as I had been!

Dennis has gone to Spur for a couple of days to hunt hogs.  Bobbie has a lot of hogs on her place, and she and Daddy really like the meat.  So Dennis tries to kill one for them to put up.  He can't eat pork, so we never kill any for ourselves.  I did tell him to try to bring us home a little to try this time though.  Ricky and I both enjoy pork on occasion!

I went to see my Aunt Coez today, and we went out to eat a hamburger at Whataburger.  Today is the 10th anniversary of her losing her husband.  It is always a hard day for her.  I really enjoy my visits with her.  Her health continues to decline, but her mind stays sharp as a tack!  She was always so good to me when I was growing up.  I even lived with her for a short time after Dennis and I got engaged.  She has fed me many a meal over the years...me and a LOT of other folks!  She still cooks for her sons and their families, as well as making quilts and table runners.  I hope that I can be as productive as she is when I'm her age!

I had fun making a little project last week.  The Darnells are about to celebrate their 75th wedding anniversary.  Linda is "hosting" a card shower for them.  As soon as I heard about it, I tried to think of something more than just a card that I could get for them.  A 75th anniversary is quite a big deal!  After doing a little brainstorming, I came up with an idea for a framed "card" for them.  I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.  I'll try to remember to share it after I have given it to them in a couple of weeks.

We got a scare about Shepherd last week!  One of the children at his orphanage died from the flu.  Stephen and Mandy couldn't get any further information on whether Shepherd or any of the other children were sick.  Thankfully, this morning, Mandy shared the news that all of the other children are healthy!  My heart breaks for the poor family who had already adopted the child who passed away.  What a tragedy!  We are all trying to be patient as we wait for Stephen and Mandy to get "the call" to head to Ethiopia to adopt Shepherd.  Such a long process and SO CLOSE to the consummation! 

I hope that each of you are staying warm and safe and healthy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment