Friday, April 15, 2016

Getting back to a normal life!

Well, I've made a lot of progress in the past week!  I can walk without crutches, although I still use one crutch most of the time.  I'm wearing athletic shoes now and can walk barefoot when necessary (getting up in the middle of the night and also when showering).  I'm able to do most of my household chores...as long as it doesn't involve squatting (squatting is still too hard...and painful).  I'm back to doing all of the cooking and most of the kitchen cleanup.  Dennis still does the hand washing after supper, since that is when I am in the most pain.  I'm advancing in my therapy and still loving it, although it is more painful now.  The more weight I put on my foot, the more it hurts...I think that will be true for some time.  I just have to take breaks and elevate it (and ice) when it gets too bothersome.  My endurance is still somewhat lacking, too.  It is incredible how weak you can get from just sitting most of the time for 2 months!!!  The hardest thing for me to do is go to WalMart!  Dennis still has to go with me to help.

I am really enjoying being able to be more mobile and DO things! 

We took a quick trip to Houston this week for Jared's funeral.  There were SO many people who turned out to show their love for him and his family!  I saw people there that I hadn't seen in over 20 years.  It was a difficult funeral.  I knew that Jared was much better off now, but it was so painful to see the grief of his sweet family.  I feel like Jamie is another one of my boys, and the pain of losing a twin is so difficult!  We also can't help but empathize with James and Debbie.  Losing a child, of ANY age, is so painful!  My heart just breaks for all of them.  Please continue to pray for them, as well as the Bryant/King/Mitchell family!

After the funeral, as we were visiting in the foyer, I walked up to talk to Brett F.  He looked at my foot and his fact just lit up!  "You're wearing tennis shoes!"  It was so sweet and funny to see him get so excited for my progress!

Dennis has been down in his back for about the past three weeks.  He's been trying to deal with it with muscle relaxers, walking, and using a back brace, but it hasn't improved at all.  He finally broke down and went to a chiropractor this morning.  He said it does feel some better after his treatment.  He was told NOT to use heat (which I'd been telling him, but what do I know?!), but to ice it.  He was also given a couple of other tips to try, other than what he's been doing.  I'm hoping it will start to get better now!

I have therapy 3 times again next week, and I'm starting back up with my normal CASA visits.  It feels good to have a normal schedule developing again!  Hopefully our next trip out of town won't be until Chris and Karley's wedding.  We plan to take a few extra days to do some visiting and sightseeing while in the area.

I hope you all have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment