Monday, September 19, 2016

A very productive and inspirational weekend

What a weekend!  Sheila and Jessica came over Friday night to help get everything sorted and priced for the yard sale.  It was great having both of my girls here again...it has been too long!  After Jessica left and Sheila went to bed, I stayed up working on my computer.  I had just received my new computer that day and was trying to get everything downloaded and transferred from my old one.  (My old computer had been acting "glitchy".  I was thinking I'd had it a couple of years, but when I remembered that I had bought it right after becoming a CASA, I realized that I had had it 4 years.  The salesman, when I had bought it, told me to expect it to last a year or two..it was one of the early 2-in-one's on the market.)  Finally around midnight, I decided I had better go to bed!  Of course, when I did, my mind wouldn't turn off.  I tossed and turned all night...getting just short snatches of sleep...until my alarm went off at 6.  (Why is it when you need the rest the most, your body won't cooperate?!)

We ate a quick breakfast and then started carrying everything outside.  The weather cooperated, other than being VERY muggy that morning.  There was moisture on everything...things were trying to slide off the tables!  There were the inevitable early birds who showed up with their flashlights wanting to get ahead of the crowds.  By start time (8:00), we were already VERY BUSY!  It didn't slow down much until around noon.  We had everything priced to sale, so we got rid of most of the stuff.  By 3:00, business had dried up, so we closed down.  We boxed up clothing and kid stuff to carry to the shelter.  Then we boxed up household items to take to a local "junktique" dealer here in town.  The rest of the stuff...a couple of tables, a lamp and a picture...were left on the curb and were eventually picked up.  SO nice to get rid of everything and get our garage back!  We ended up with a profit of $299.98.  (If I'd known that ahead of time, I'd have put in an extra 2 cents!)  Not bad for Mineral Wells.

After the girls left, I cleaned up and CRASHED!  I had gotten really hot when we were packing everything up and putting up tables, and I was exhausted from lack of sleep.  So other than cooking a pan of cornbread (I had put on some beans to cook the night before.), and then cleaning up the kitchen, I spent the rest of the evening sitting and resting!  It was a good opportunity to finish getting my new computer all set up, though.  I'm really happy with how it is working, although Windows 10 is taking some getting used to!

Yesterday was a wonderful Lord's Day!  Ron gave a great lesson (and a very emotional one) on using time.  He really gave us a lot to think about.  The guys had their afternoon business meeting/lunch, so I came home and pondered what he'd talked about and worked on making some changes in my "time management".  Then James did a great job on his chapter study of 1 Tim. 4...focusing primarily on the last 4 verses, which really tied in well with the morning's lesson.  Such a good day of spiritual feasting!

Dennis is making good progress on Shepherd's gift.  It is a pretty complicated project, but I'm very happy with how it is turning out.  I can't wait until "the reveal"!

This week is going to be pretty full with CASA stuff.  I had a visit to observe today, court tomorrow, a "mixer" on Wednesday and another visit to observe on Friday.  I think I will probably start my baking for our October meeting, too.  Last year (since we were on vacation for the 3 weeks prior to the meeting), I did all of my baking early and froze it.  That worked out SO well!!!  So I'm going to do the same this time (especially since we'll be in Arkansas the weekend before our meeting for 4 days).  I'm not sure when we'll get back to finishing our tilework in the kitchen.  I'm hoping Dennis will finish this other project this week, so we can start back next week.  We now have the rest of the tile.  It won't take long to put up what it left, then start on the grouting and trim.

Well, laundry is calling my name, so I'd better get going.  I hope you all have a great week and use your time wisely!

No comments:

Post a Comment