Well, this past week DID go much better! Dennis went out and killed a nice buck on Monday. So good to have fresh meat aging! He went out again Saturday morning and killed a nice doe. So we are in good shape for now. Since we have plenty of meat for the freezer for now, he can get back to working on the kitchen. Yay!
On Tuesday, we drove down to San Saba for our yearly pecan trip. It was a great drive down. We saw a lot of deer, one very nice blackbuck and an oryx. We bought 30 pounds of pecans at the warehouse store, plus a couple of jars of jam. We then drove to our hotel in Copperas Cove and got settled in. We knew of a good Italian restaurant (that we'd visited before), so we went there for supper and then took in a movie. We hadn't planned to watch election results, but we turned them on when we got back to our room and kind of got drawn in to it. I finally went to sleep and left it with Dennis!
Wednesday, we took it easy...sleeping late and then enjoying a leisurely breakfast in our hotel. After loading up, we headed back towards home...taking a scenic shortcut. We saw more deer, including a BIG buck! As we drove into Hico, we saw this old Victorian home with a giant banner along the fence, advertising 20 years of business for the Wiseman House Chocolates. Well, we couldn't just pass that by! They hand make all kinds of chocolates and offer free samples throughout the store. Of course we had to purchase some, too! We ended up making it back home in time for lunch and spent the evening picking out the pecans. We had bought cracked nuts, so we were able to get them all shelled out by bedtime. We now have 6 gallons of wonderful pecans in the freezer...just in time for Thanksgiving treats!
I had an appointment first thing Thursday morning with my doctor. My blood pressure is doing well. I will continue on my current meds until I see the cardiologist at the end of the month.
I left the doctor's office and drove to FW for Bobbie's hand surgery. She had 2 tendons (leading to her right index finger and thumb) that had snapped in two from some screws that were holding a plate on her wrist from when she had broken it. They removed the screws and plate and attached the tendon from her index finger to the middle finger, so they will work together. Then they attached the tendon from the thumb to one that leads to her bicep to stabilize it. She won't have normal function in her hand, but it ought to be better than it has been. She will be in a brace for 3 weeks and not able to use her right hand during that time. She went through surgery well and is not having much, if any, pain from it.
I baked sugar cookies on Friday and froze them. I plan to decorate them for Thanksgiving...saving a few for the boys to decorate while they are here. I am super excited about this Thanksgiving! Having both boys here all weekend is going to be a blast! We are hoping to go to the zoo one day with them. I've looked forward to a day at the zoo with grandkids for a LONG time!
Sheila came over and spent Friday night and all day Saturday. I enjoyed having her around all weekend. She also came back over and spent all day today.
We had a great Lord's Day today! Dennis gave a good lesson this morning and things got pretty emotional. Brother Wayne made a few comments and had everyone in tears! Mayrene has been in the hospital for the past two weeks, and it is very hard on them both. It is also rough on Linda and Karen who are trying to take care of both of them! They could all really use your prayers!
We are just a week and a half away from Thanksgiving! There will be a lot going on between now and then...2 deer to butcher, plus we plan to go help Kyle butcher Parker's first deer (that he killed this morning...way to go, Parker!) I've got court on Tuesday, an appointment that night and a visit Friday morning. Then it will be time to start baking goodies! I've already bought my turkey, and Dennis is planning to smoke it the day before, so I can just warm it up Thursday morning. We are excited to do our own smoked turkey for the first time! We also need to make up some more jerky to have on hand while all of the kids are here. I love Thanksgiving!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment