Friday, October 19, 2018

Countdown to our meeting!


Just one week until our meeting starts! *panic mode* I just love it when we are fighting a deadline to finish a project on the house in time for company. (Can you hear the sarcasm just dripping from my words?)

Of course, we won’t have the guest room completely finished by then, but we should have it habitable. We started laying the floor today and would have been finished if we hadn’t run out. Dennis is picking up some more laminate as he takes Nam to Jessica’s office (she’s keeping him while Sheila has a night out). We have the top shelf and pole put up in the closet, so we can put stuff back in there for now and finish installing the shelves later on. We have the crown molding painted and should be able to put it up tomorrow. Then we just need to do the window sill and baseboards and hang the new light/fan, and we can start moving furniture back in. Gina will be keeping Nam on Thursday and Friday next week, so we can get the house back in order and do a thorough cleaning.

We are about to wash away around here. I can’t even remember when it started raining, but it has been going at it pretty solid for a week or so. Our yard is a quagmire! It is an adventure just trying to get to the car. (Our garage is currently in workshop mode.) Nam has been going stir-crazy, not being able to get outside to play or ride his bike. Trying to get our work done and keep him occupied has been challenging. I normally don’t like for him to watch much tv, but I’ve been making an exception this past week. He has his window seat where he plays with his blocks and cars, and that’s about the only room he has for doing anything right now. Of course he loves to help us do EVERYTHING, but we can only take “so much” of his help. LOL! He really wants to help and tries, but he is just four years old! He was about to drive Grandad crazy today! So I decided to put on “Lady and the Tramp” for him to watch.

I took Daddy to get some bloodwork done Monday, so he decided to go ahead and relinquish his DL and get an ID card. Glad to get that done, even though it took ALL morning! We went early, and I was hoping the bad weather would keep people away, but they were pretty full. After filling out the paperwork and standing in line a half hour, we ended up not having the required proof of residence that he needed (had one, but not an acceptable second one). So we had to leave, go to the bank to get a statement to use, and then go get his bloodwork done. By then, it was time to pick up Nam. So when I took Daddy back to the DMV, I sent him in by himself with all of the necessary paperwork and stayed in the car with Nam. After about 15-20 minutes, I got worried, so we went in to check on him. He was still sitting and waiting on the lady to process him. I gave Nam my phone to play a game, and after another 15-20 minutes, we finally got through. Then we took Daddy back to Brookdale (just in time for lunch) and I took Nam to McDonalds for being so good for me during all of that!

Nam’s sleepover last week went very well. He didn’t have any problems at all. He and Grandad slept in our bed, and I slept in the other bedroom. He said his momma told him if he didn’t have fun, he wouldn’t have to do it again. But he told us Saturday morning that he had fun!

Sheila and Nam came over to Highway on Sunday to celebrate Dennis’ birthday. Nam took up with Layne, since Ricky and James were gone to Arkansas. He asked him to lead “Oh Thou Fount of” (as he calls it). When Layne got up to lead it, Nam belted it out at the top of his lungs! You could see smiles all over the building. After services, Sheila took us out to eat at Antonio’s. Then we took Daddy and Bobbie back to Brookdale. Bobbie wasn’t feeling very well. Sheila and Nam came back and visited until time to go back to afternoon services.

I’ve got a couple of batches of cookies and a loaf of banana nut bread baked and in the freezer. I’m hoping to get my pies baked and frozen tomorrow. (I’ve been planning to do them every day this week, but something else ends up taking up my time.) We are doing Subway sandwiches and hamburger/hot dogs on Saturday, so that means we only have to cook one meal for Sunday. I’ll be getting my food prep for that (and breakfasts) done up Friday. We are keeping Laura and the girls and maybe one other family.

Dennis and I had to go get fingerprinted…again…yesterday. In order to work with children (whether in a paying job or as a volunteer) you have to be fingerprinted with the FBI and the state of Texas. Every time one of them changes their system (which seems to be every few years), you have to go through the process again. They had fits trying to get Dennis’ fingerprints! He has done so much sanding on the drywall lately, that he sanded his right off. They kept having to moisturize his fingers to get anything to show up. But we got it done…until they change things again! (Dennis is my CASA Pal, which is why he had to be done. That means I’m able to discuss my cases with him, and he can accompany me on any visits that I make.) I’m still on my “sabbatical” from CASA, but I’m staying current so I’ll still be qualified when I’m ready to take on a new case. Still not sure when that will be! I may not start back until Nam starts kindergarten next fall.

Well, I hope to see a bunch of you next weekend at our meeting! If you are coming, have a safe journey and bring lawn chairs, if possible! Stay dry!

No comments:

Post a Comment