Monday, October 29, 2018

"Let us go on unto perfection"


The meeting was great! Every time we have one of these I feel like it is the best one ever. The guys who spoke did an outstanding job. Our crowd was the largest that we’ve had in our building before…we were scrambling to find enough seats!

Terry A started us off Friday night by giving an excellent lesson on “Growing Up”.  He exhorted us to be diligent in our labor and warned of the signs of spiritual immaturity (Heb. 5:11):  being dull of hearing, being unable to teach others, and lacking discernment – being unable to tell right from wrong. Our crowd was very large that evening, but even more people came as the evening progressed. After the assembly, we all headed over to the Fields’ house to share in the joy of watching Ashley J be baptized! Such a wonderful occasion! We headed back home afterwards with Laura and her girls and Roy M, who were staying with us. Craig and Julie got in about 1:00 am, after distributing their kiddos in various locales.

Saturday morning, Ken A gave us an impassioned lesson on “Learning How to Walk in the Spirit.”  He began with a beautiful reading from Isaiah 34 and 35 that shows what can happen when we read and respond to God’s Word. He also warned what happens when you reject God. He summed his lesson up using Romans 7 and 8 to show how “I” (the carnal man) must die in order to allow the Spirit to live in us.

After the assembly, we all spent the rest of the day at the Pettits’ house. They have worked tirelessly for the past year getting their place fixed up to be able to entertain a large crowd. It was perfect! The weather was glorious; the fellowship was sweet; and the food, abundant. Unfortunately I had been fighting a sinus headache since 5:30 that morning and was walking around like a zombie all day. I want to apologize to everyone for being such a wallflower all day. I didn’t mean to seem unfriendly…I was just fighting the impulse to crawl in bed and hibernate all day! I crashed early that night and got a good solid 9 hours of sleep, so I felt much better for the Lord’s Day activities.

Sunday morning, Garrett S gave an amazing lesson on “Worship/Growth”. He emphasized that we must have “tasted that the Lord is gracious” (1 Pet. 2:2) to truly worship our Father in spirit and truth. We need to have a sincere desire for God’s Word to abound more and more. Worshipping God as He has directed should be the most important thing in our life. Afterwards, we had lunch and more fellowship at the Millsap Community Center, then met back at 3:00 to listen to Jensen speak on “Loving our Fellow Man”. He challenged us to practice what we claim to believe and make time to share God’s Word and His Love with the world, using the example of us being a conduit that “plugs in” others to the power of God. Very inspiring!

We hated to see the meeting come to an end and have to say our good-byes to our guests. It is our hope and prayer, however, that we ALL focus on what we heard this weekend and truly allow it to change our lives. The best sermons in the world are no good, if they are not internalized and acted upon!

I’d like to thank each of our speakers for their hard work in preparing and presenting such wonderful lessons. I’d also like to thank all of our visitors. These meetings wouldn’t be the amazing experience they are without all of you coming to be a part of them. I’d also like to thank the Pettit family for all of their hard work in preparing a place to entertain 100+ guests and then being hosts to everyone. I’d also like to thank our personal guests (Laura/girls, Craig/Julie, and Roy) for graciously accepting our “work in progress” as their residence for the weekend. We loved having you in our home and welcome you back at any time!

No comments:

Post a Comment