Thursday, January 3, 2019

A New Year brings changes and opportunities


Brrr!!! It is really cold and wet this week. We aren’t having any frozen stuff, but a lot of precipitation and temperatures hovering just around freezing. There is some ice on the trees around here but nothing on the ground. I’m thankful that we aren’t having icy roads!

Even though several of our folks from Highway were at the Spunky Creek meeting, we still had a nice crowd Sunday morning, thanks to the Pettit family. We love having them around and look forward to them living closer! We took Daddy and Bobbie back to Brookdale for lunch after the morning assembly. Bobbie was pretty tired and was thinking Tonette was coming that afternoon. So Dennis and I just went out to eat by ourselves and then went home and napped until time to head back to services.

I drove to FW to pick up Nam Monday morning. He was coming to spend the night with us, so his momma and Matt could go to a concert at Bass Hall for NYE. He’s always a little apprehensive about sleepovers, but he did great. Dennis and I don't sleep well when he sleeps over, because he usually ends up in bed with us...and we aren't used to that. I am getting better at it though. Nam does NOT like my snoring though! He blamed our lack of sleep on me! 

Sheila, Matt and Caleb came over for our New Year’s dinner (at noon). We boiled shrimp, crab legs, potatoes, corn, and carrots. I made French bread to go with it and key lime pie for dessert. Nam helped me squeeze the limes for the pie. I was amazed at how he stuck with it. It takes about 20-25 of those little guys to make enough juice for one pie. I use my garlic press to juice the halves. He squeezed almost every one! I would have to give them a final squeeze to make sure we got all of the juice out, but he did a really good job. (I also had to follow him around with the cup to catch the juice…he couldn’t quite get the hang of keeping the limes over the cup while squeezing.) Lunch was a big success! Wish Ricky could have been there, too. We had a ton of food left over! (I found out later that Amber doesn’t like seafood, so I guess it is good that they weren’t around.) We really enjoyed our visit with Matt and Caleb. That Caleb is such a sweet guy…and so good with Nam! He is going to be a great big brother! He reminds me a LOT of his dad…very kind and thoughtful. Sheila really found herself a winner in Matt!

Ricky and Amber got in Tuesday around suppertime. Dennis and I were still pretty full from lunch, so I just heated up leftovers from the fridge for them. They were both exhausted…and Ricky was sick with another sinus infection! They stayed up for 2-3 hours visiting with us before crashing. Amber had to be at work first thing the next morning, but she was to exhausted to drive home that night. So she got up and left at 4:00 am and made it to work on time. We are also very happy with Ricky’s choice in her! She is such a sweetheart! It is SO wonderful to see our children happily in love!

Sunday is our monthly potluck. Andy J is our guest speaker. I’m hoping Sheila and Matt and the boys will come, too. Nam is pretty excited about Andy and Sherry being his new grandparents! He sits with them quite a bit during the assembly at HC. And you can never have too many grandparents!

Nam will start back to pre-k next Tuesday, and we can get back to a semblance of normal around here. Amber has Mondays off, so she will probably be spending most of her weekends here for a while. (She and Ricky both have to work Saturdays, but he works 6 days a week normally.) She is a pleasure to have around, and this will provide more time for us to get to know each other better.

I hope the New Year is starting out well for all of you. There are some that are really struggling with serious health issues right now that continue to need our prayers. My prayers are that we all pay more attention to the needs of others this year and help out whenever we can. It is amazing how much impact one person can have on another…sometimes by just offering some encouraging words or support. Of course there are times when much more is needed, which is what I’d really like to see grow and improve. When I read of the first century church in Jerusalem, and then look at us today, I see a lot of differences. I don’t mean for us all to sell everything and distribute it equally, but I do think we need to be much quicker to reach out to one another in whatever ways are needed. It has been very heartwarming to see how many have responded to Ricky’s needs with his cancer and upcoming surgery! I hope to see more of that type of love and support, as well as reaching out to our communities to help those in need. Jesus devoted His life to serving and loving others. If we want to bear His name, then we must do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment