Thursday, December 19, 2019

Busy time of year!



Dennis and I had a “date afternoon” last week and went to see “It’s a Wonderful Day in the Neighborhood.” I loved it. Mr. Rogers was such a dear, sweet man who loved people, especially children. I read an article that said he agonized over every word and action in his show…making sure that there was nothing said or done that could confuse a child. He was so gentle and loving! I really recommend the movie to anyone who hasn’t seen it yet.

We had a care plan meeting for Dad last week. Things are about the same…just steadily getting weaker and more tired. The hospice social worker visited him Tuesday…first time since he was first admitted to the service a month ago. She was surprised by how much he had declined. She doesn’t think he’ll be around much longer. He still gets up for meals and to go to the restroom, but the rest of the time he just wants to sleep. She suggested that I read to him during my visits, which I did on Wednesday. When I asked him yesterday if he wanted me to read to him, he said no, that he was too tired. He did have a visit from Ralph and Linda S and Diane B on Monday. Diane said he seemed to enjoy it and stayed awake the entire time.

I had decided to take on a new CASA case after the first of the year after my year-and-a-half long sabbatical. Last week, our director sent out a list of new cases that needed advocates, and one caught my eye. It was just what I needed to get back “in the game”. I met the child and foster mom on Monday and attended the adversary hearing Tuesday morning. Things have changed since my last case and I feel really rusty, so it will take me awhile to get reacclimated!

Last Friday evening, Caleb had his piano recital at Bass Hall. (It was actually in the building across the street where they hold the Van Cliburn competition.) We went to Matt and Sheila’s, early, to take them their deer meat and Christmas presents. Then we all (including Andy and Sherry) went to eat supper together before heading downtown for the recital. It was fun! Most of the students were beginners, so I got a bigger kick out of watching Nam’s reactions than listening to the numbers. He was hilarious! During one piano piece, the little girl was playing a familiar tune. Dennis whispered to Nam the name of the song, and Nam looked askance at him and asked, “How can you tell?!!!” (I admit, it took me a minute or so to recognize it myself!) Caleb did a really good job, though. I was so proud of him! He had the biggest cheering section too!

Sheila and Nam came over for several hours on Saturday. Nam and Grandad played, while Sheila and I did some cooking for the freezer. We really enjoyed their visit! All three of us are looking forward to Nam’s two-night sleepover in a couple of weeks.

We didn’t take Dad to church on Sunday for the first time. I didn’t tell him before hand, we just didn’t show up. We went by later to take him communion, but he was sound asleep, so we didn’t disturb him. He hasn’t said anything about it all week, so I’m not sure he even realized that we didn’t take him. He used to would have been really angry with us! I don’t know whether it is a matter of not noticing or just being too tired to care anymore.

We had some visitors from Amarillo at Highway Sunday morning, so a few of us went out to eat lunch together. We had a great time! It is nice to be able to do things like that again. It has been quite a while since we've had that freedom. Dennis and James S left from church that evening to go on their hunting trip. They got back yesterday afternoon with a LOT of meat! We probably have plenty now for us, as well as being able to share one with Amber and Ricky. Dennis loves being able to provide meat for the whole family!

I went back for my follow-up visit with the doctor Tuesday. I’m definitely needing a CPAP machine. I should be hearing from the company who will provide it soon to set up a time to come out and get me set up. I hope I adjust to it quickly and start feeling more rested!

After my doctor visit, I headed over to Diane B’s house for the night. We met up with several other ladies from Henrietta Creek at the Palace Theatre in Grapevine to watch “White Christmas”. The theatre is a historical landmark. They do things a little differently from other movie theatres. There were no ads or previews. Instead, a lady came out to tell everyone a little about the theatre and the movie. There was a balcony section, which sounded like fun, but one of our ladies was concerned that she wouldn’t be able to handle the stairs. The house was packed and the crowd was more interactive than usual at the movies (clapping after certain scenes and at the end of the movie, lots of laughter, and you could even hear a few people singing along with the movie). We loved it! We talked about making it an annual event. The section of Grapevine where it is located is all decorated up with lights and photo ops, with Christmas music playing. It was really pretty!

After the movie, Diane and I went back to her house, put on our jammies and watched an OLD Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck movie before turning in for the night. I always enjoy our “girl time” at Diane’s house! Btw, her broken wrist is much better! She doesn’t have to wear her splint anymore and is hoping to be released this week. She still doesn’t have full function back (which may take a year), but she is steadily making progress.

Wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment