I was just wondering how the easing of restrictions is affecting everyone? Not much difference in our house. We (especially Dennis) are in the "high risk" group, so we are still mostly staying home and wearing masks in public. Highway is going to start meeting together this Sunday, but we've chosen to keep having private services here. Gwen and her mom will continue meeting with us.
Dennis is doing well on his diet. His blood sugar is always the highest first thing in the morning, after fasting all night. (Weird, right?) We've finally learned that if he limits his carbs to earlier in the day, and we have a low carb supper, it brings down those morning levels. Plus he is really being careful with what he eats. He is normally a carb junkie, but he has cut back dramatically! We are trying to make our noon meal our big meal some of the time...which is really difficult. If I just do meat and veggies, we go ahead and have it in the evening. But if I make anything with many carbs (Mexican food, anything with bread or pasta, etc.), I fix it for lunch and we do a light supper. With his success in lowering his morning numbers, we'll probably continue with this schedule.
Another reason we are being extra careful (concerning COVID-19) is that Dennis MAY have prostate cancer. The doctors have been watching his PSA for YEARS, because it has been running high. He has been going to an oncologist for close to a year, who has been very closely monitoring him. His PSA recently jumped 2 points in a 3 month period, which is a big red flag. So they did an MRI and found two lesions which could be cancer. They are planning to do a biopsy on the 20th. He really dreads the biopsy. He had one done 7 years ago, which landed him in the hospital for 4 days with a serious E-coli infection that spread from his prostate to his bladder and kidneys. They pumped 2 different strong antibiotics through IVs to get it under control. He ended up being on oral antibiotics for about a month. So we are definitely NOT wanting to go through that again! His oncologist will start him on oral antibiotics next week for 7 days before the procedure. Then they will do an IV drip of antibiotics during the biopsy. Hopefully, that will prevent a repeat of what happened last time! Any prayers would be greatly appreciated.
I talked to my Aunt Coez this week. She has been busy making masks for people. When all of this started, she had told me that she wanted to make them, but didn't know how. So I printed off a pattern and took it to her. She has made over 100, so far! She gives them to the ladies who deliver her meals, her home health ladies, family, and anyone else who wants one. She is a quilter, so she has a lot of fabric lying around! She is doing well during all of this. I'm so thankful that she has a network of people who provide for her needs. A couple of her grandsons take care of buying her groceries and bringing her anything else she needs.
My clothes dryer died on me this week. After shopping online to see what I wanted, we masked up and went to Lowe's Tuesday night to try to buy one. We found the model I wanted (and that would fit in the limited space I have), but they had already sold all of that model. So I searched on my phone on the way home and found the same model that was available from a Best Buy warehouse in Flower Mound. It would take up to a week to order it from anywhere else, and I had two wet loads of laundry at home! So I ordered it, and Dennis headed over there first thing the next morning to pick it up. (He was very impressed with their safety protocols. They had had a worker who died from COVID-19, so I guess they were taking things more serious than a lot of people.) So, by midmorning on Wednesday, I was back in service and able to dry my clothes!
Dennis is continuing to make good progress on the house. He has finished putting up sheetrock in the hall, did the necessary wiring in the hall and bathroom, installed a new (programmable!) thermostat, and installed by new intake grate for the A/C system. I'm really enjoying having the light switch inside the hall bathroom! It is taking some getting used to, though, after having it in the hall for the past 14 years. I also love the new thermostat. Our old one was original equipment (from the 60's) and never did work very well.
I bought a new Kindle book this week, which I am really enjoying. It is called "HumanKind: Changing the World One Small Act at a Time." It is a collection of stories of how people being kind to one another has changed people's lives. It is only $.99 on Amazon right now, in case anyone else is interested in reading it. I love reading books like this! Sometimes you get to feeling like you can't make a difference, and this shows that no act of kindness is ever wasted.
Speaking of acts of kindness, I have been on the receiving end of several this week. I've received a few thoughtful cards from dear friends and family. Nam sent us a picture that he had painted, and Sheila sent me an early Mother's Day gift, which I've been enjoying. I've gotten a couple of handmade cards in the mail, as well as a phone call from a dear friend. My sweet daughter-in-law video called yesterday so that Shepherd could show me his first lost tooth! (I always love getting to see my littles' faces!) I also just received a beautiful bouquet of flowers from Rick and Amber! Every one of these has brought a smile to my face and brightened my day!
That about wraps up this past week. I hope each of you are staying safe and spreading your own little acts of kindness along the way!
No comments:
Post a Comment