Well, Thanksgiving this year didn’t turn out quite like we had hoped. The number of COVID-19 cases were peaking and hospitals were filling up and not taking in new cases, so we decided not to get everyone together. Dennis and I went over to Rick and Amber’s on the Saturday we had planned to celebrate, and we had our Thanksgiving feast with just the four of us…plus Copper. We still really enjoyed the day. Of course, we had tons of leftovers, but I took my vacuum sealer with me, and we divvied up the spoils!
Since I last updated, I’ve been to see a new orthopedic
surgeon. He has x-rayed both arms, had an MRI done on my right shoulder and a
nerve conduction test done on both arms. I go back to talk about the results
with him next week. So far we know that I have a significant impingement in my
right shoulder that will probably need surgical correction. I also appear to
have carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands, which is causing a lot of tingling
and numbness. Since the number COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations are so high
in our area, the governor has ordered elective surgeries to be put on hold for
now, so I’m not sure when I will actually be allowed to have my surgery (or
surgeries). I was really hoping they could get my shoulder done before the end
of the year (for insurance purposes), but that’s not going to happen! So I’ll just
have to be patient a little longer…
I ended up spending two different days at Diane’s house,
working on Christmas cards. We had a really good time! We spent a lot of hours
cutting (which Diane did while I wasn’t there), stamping, pasting, and
assembling. I haven’t done much card making. In fact, all that I’ve ever done has
been at Diane’s house. It is pretty satisfying to see them come together. I
hope that the nursing home residents enjoyed getting them as much as we enjoyed
making them!
Dennis is still working on the guest bathroom. It has been a
real headache! He finally got the tub installed and is finishing up the
surround and plumbing. He hopes to get it done this weekend. Then he can finish
the walls. This is taking much longer than we had hoped. Once we get the walls
completed, things should go much faster. We can hope!
Dennis is going with Stephen and the boys on a hunting trip
next week. They are going back to the same lease as before. Dennis won’t be
hunting this time…just acting as “guide” for Stephen and babysitter for the
boys. They ought to have a lot of fun! The last time Dennis left, I had a lot
going on. This time I hope to mostly hibernate! I do have a doctor’s appointment
and bloodwork that I have to get done, but I may not leave the house other than
that. The weather is supposed to be pretty chilly, so I’ll just enjoy my
fireplace!
I’m planning to cook up a batch of jerky tomorrow for the guys
to take on their trip. Then Saturday, I’m planning to bake cookies for the
boys. I made a new cookie recipe yesterday, intending it for them. However, it
isn’t going to work out well for traveling. It was a “Whipped Shortbread”
cookie…supposed to melt in your mouth. Well it does! But they are SO tender
that they fall apart if you hold them too firmly, much less tryi to send them
on a trip. I’m not sure the littles would like them much either. So I’ll just
do my regular Snickerdoodles. All of the grandkids love them!
Dennis and I went out driving, looking at the lights, last night. In the 15 years that we’ve lived here, this is the best that I’ve seen. I guess everyone is needing a little more cheer than normal in their lives! I decided to send out cards this year for the first time in a LONG time. I have them all signed and addressed and should get them stamped and mailed tomorrow. I’ve been getting a few already and have them hanging from the mantel. I don’t decorate for the holidays, but I do enjoy displaying the cards that I receive!
Be safe, be kind and enjoy the blessings of the season!

No comments:
Post a Comment