Saturday, November 28, 2020

Some More of my Favorite Things...

 

Thanksgiving is a time to focus on the positives in our lives and be grateful for what we have. So I’m wanting to explore some more of my favorite things. In my last post I talked about some of my favorite kitchen tools...pretty mundane, I know! (I just feel like we should rejoice even in the commonplace.) Today, however, I want to focus on things that are more intangible.

I love sunsets! My kitchen window faces west, so I get to see the sun set almost every day. We have been privileged to enjoy innumerable displays of color since we’ve moved to this area of Texas. One of the things I enjoy about them the most is the constantly changing hues as the sun dips beneath the horizon. I never tire of it!

I also love the smell of rain. I recently learned that there is actually a word for this: petrichor. It is caused by water coming in contact with dry rocks or earth. Whatever the science of it, it is so refreshing!

I also love to listen to thunderstorms! There is just something very powerful and moving about them. Listening to the rain coming down in sheets and hearing the rumbling and booming in the distance is very soothing and exciting at the same time.

I love the smell of bread baking, and the subtle scent of pine as you walk through a forest, and the soft scent of a baby after a bath. I love the sound of ocean waves breaking on the shore, and wolves howling in the distance, and the sound of a young child laughing. I love the sight of a rainbow, and snow-topped mountains, and fields of wildflowers. I love the feel of a warm, fuzzy blanket; and the soft, smooth skin of an infant; and the feeling of buoyancy while floating in the sea.



I love the feeling of joy that fills my heart when I’m surrounded by those that I love. I love hearing about the kindness of strangers. I love stories about those who overcome great obstacles. I love watching children as they play. All of these, and too many more to describe, are some of my favorite things.

No comments:

Post a Comment