Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Arctic Storm of 2021

 It looks like 2021 is trying to follow 2020’s lead! What a crazy week we’ve been having. We’ve had the coldest temperatures that I can remember and aren’t supposed to see above freezing temps until tomorrow (a whopping 33⁰!). Even though it snowed a lot, it was so fine and dry that we only got a few inches accumulated. The sun has melted some on the roof edges which is giving us some pretty impressive icicles. I, personally, haven’t been out in it. In fact, the only time I’ve left the house since my surgery was Saturday. I’ve been sick with cold/allergy symptoms, so I went to get tested…just to be on the safe side. I still haven’t received my results, but I fully expect them to be negative. Dennis has been getting out to tend to things (going back and forth to the church building to check on it, providing transportation for and checking on some family, and making a couple of trips to town for supplies). He has adequate clothing to keep him warm (thanks to his hunting gear) and is good at driving under severe weather conditions. Our Highlander also has a snow setting, which makes it easier to navigate under bad conditions. We’ve been very blessed throughout this ordeal. We haven’t lost power at all. Our phones were on the fritz for a couple of days, but I was able to communicate with family via Facebook Messenger and Instagram Chat. Our city water supply is unpotable right now, but I’ve been boiling water and Dennis was able to find some bottled water today at the grocery store, so we are good. We’re just basically hibernating like most everyone else!

icicles on our shrub near the front porch

icicles hanging from the garage roof


I really feel for all the MANY who are without power…and have been since Sunday night. Sheila and family fall into that category. They are toughing it out! We check on them REGULARLY and keep offering our home for them to crash in, but they are managing. Like many others, they want to make sure their water lines don’t freeze up. Sheila says Nam is LOVING the snow! He got his first taste of it on their recent trip to Colorado. This is the first Texas snow that has been significant enough for him to get out and play in. I love seeing all of the pictures of kiddos playing out in the snow. Snow is magical…especially for children! We probably average one good snow about every decade around here, so it is quite a treat. Of course, the extreme temperatures have made this one less than desirable for many, but it is still beautiful…and fun for the young.

I’m doing very well from my surgery. We took my pain pump out on Tuesday morning of last week. After that, I was able to get around and move again. I also quit using my ice machine then. That was a relief. My side was sore from lugging that thing everywhere I went! I never did have any real pain. I had a few muscle spasms, but I’d take ½ of my muscle relaxer and that would stop them. I never took more than a Tylenol for pain. I’m already able to lift my arm all the way up. I’m using it pretty normally, really. Reaching behind my back is still difficult. I’m sure PT will be needed to regain that ability. I was supposed to go in the morning to get my stitches out, but the doctor’s office will be closed due to the weather and power problems. So I was rescheduled for next Tuesday. I imagine he will prescribe my PT at that time. I do the exercises here at home that he told me for surgery follow-up. They are very gentle stretches to help regain mobility in the shoulder. The only thing that bothers me much at all is the tightness and itching around my stitches. I AM looking forward to getting them removed!

Dennis got the bathroom walls painted last week. He hasn’t been able to work any this week. He has to paint the trim and put it up, and it is too cold to paint! Then he’ll start on the tile. He can’t do that until things thaw out either. Once that is done, he can move the vanity/sink and toilet in and install them. We are SO close!



I would really appreciate your prayers for my Aunt Faye. She had a heart attach last week. She came home for 2-3 days and had to return to the hospital in FW with pneumonia. She is such a dear, sweet lady and has really been having a lot of health problems over the past few years. Thankfully, Aunt Coez is doing pretty well right now. This cold weather isn’t easy on her, but she is toughing it out! I’m thankful that she hasn’t lost her power during all of this!

I hope all of you are surviving the winter storm of 2021! Stay warm and safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment