Well, my surgery went well, and so far, I’m doing great. I’ve had virtually no pain as yet. They have this wonderful device that they use now to block postsurgical pain for 3 days. I had one when I had my Achilles’ tendon surgery, and I have one now. They are magical! I’m starting to get some feeling back in my hand and arm, which is nice. I’m actually able to use my right hand a little for typing. I can also feel the cool from my icing machine, that I will also be using continuously for the next 2-3 days (then off and on every hour for 1 ½ weeks). Dennis and I are both very pleased with how things are going!
Speaking of Dennis, I do not know what I’d do without him! I’m
still very helpless (although able to do more than yesterday), but he is right
here to see to my every need…even when it meant getting up at 2 am to refill the
ice in my icing machine. I’m trying to do as much as I can for myself, both to
aid in my recovery and make things easier for him...but until this sling comes
off, I am very limited. I’m going to start taking it off for brief intervals
today to start gentle shoulder movements. After the pain pump comes off, I’ll
be able to start doing “wall walks” to get my arm back to raising over my head.
Since the doctor didn’t repair the rotator cuff (when the tear is only 50% like
mine is, it is better to allow it to heal on its own), I’m able to regain
mobility much quicker. All he had to do was clean out scar tissue and “debris”.
I imagine he also bathed the inflammation in steroids, too. The bursitis was
pretty extensive.
I want to thank everyone who has been praying for a
successful surgery and recovery for me. I definitely believe that is a major
reason things are going so well! I would appreciate a continuance of those, if
you don’t mind. 😊
I learned a couple of interesting things yesterday. I’ve
heard people joke about getting their coffee via an IV, but I kinda got that
yesterday. The anesthesiologist asked if I was a morning coffee drinker, which
I am. So he gave me a jolt or two of caffeine thru my IV! He said it would help
with pain management, as well as helping me rouse after surgery. Ha! Who knew?!
While watching Jeopardy last night, I learned another
interesting tidbit. Everyone who knew Daddy and Bobbie very well, knew that
they loved playing Skip-Bo…and were ruthless at it! It was actually inspired by
an old card game called “Spite and Malice”. I guess they were playing it according
to the spirit intended all along!
Well, I just wanted to do a quick update to let you know how
I’m doing. Thanks again for the prayers and well wishes. I really appreciate
them all! Take care!
No comments:
Post a Comment