What a great day! This morning, I headed over to Diane’s for a lunch date. We went to a little sandwich shop called Newk’s and talked over our salads for the longest! (I was beginning to worry that they might kick us out!) Then we went to Target for a little shopping. Then it was back to her house for a couple of hours of quality visiting. We don't get together that often, but we always enjoy our time together when we can work it in!
I left around 4:30 and headed down to the area south of the medical district in FW…just off of Magnolia Ave. There are so many little shops and restaurants that have built up in that area now! Sheila and I met up at The Worthy Co. to do some candle pouring. The shop is a non-profit that helps women who have been victims of abuse and trafficking. They give them jobs and teach them the skills that they need to break free of their past. I didn’t really know what to expect, but I really enjoyed it! We selected the container and scent that we liked, then they talked us through each step of assembling and pouring our candles. The finished candles have to set up for a couple of days before being moved, so we will pick them up later to bring home.
After our fun craft time, we walked several blocks to The Flying Carpet, a Turkish restaurant. I was really excited about trying this new cuisine! We decided to get an appetizer, an entrée, and a dessert and share them. It turned out to be the perfect plan. For our appetizer, we decided on Sigara Börek, which is feta cheese and parsley wrapped in a thin pastry and fried. They were SO GOOD! Then we ordered Yoğurtlu Tavuk Kebab, which was a chicken kebab in a yogurt sauce…very tasty! We finished up our scrumptious meal with Baklava! I’d had baklava before, but only the grocery store variety that you reheat. This was WAY better! Warm buttery pecans and honey layered with super thin, crispy phyllo…you can’t help smiling after each bite! After our leisurely meal and lots of good visiting, we walked back to our cars and said our good-byes. Then I headed west, driving towards one of our beautiful North Texas sunsets while listening to my Disney goes Classic CD. Such a wonderful day with my gal pals! I can’t wait until we can do it again!


No comments:
Post a Comment