Monday, August 30, 2021

Labor Day weekend plans

I love fall! (I’m sure that comes as a complete surprise to all of those who know me.) But before the splendors of autumn can arrive, one must face RAGWEED SEASON. *dun dun dun*

I’m not the most perceptive person around. Sometimes you have to beat me over the head with a 2x4 for me to “get” something. That’s how it was with me and RAGWEED SEASON. *dun dun dun* For years, we would spend Labor Day weekend in Valliant, OK, at an annual gathering of good friends. After a few years, I started noticing that I always came home sick. At first I thought I was allergic to southern Oklahoma. I finally came to the conclusion that I am allergic to ragweed or goldenrod or some other grass that blooms this time of year (or all of the above). Now I just expect to feel bad when Labor Day rolls around.

Guess what? This coming weekend is Labor Day weekend. Guess what else? I woke up this morning with a runny nose, sneezing and nasal congestion. It is RAGWEED SEASON! *dun dun dun*

We normally attend the annual Labor Day gathering (that has now moved to Haslet), but COVID has caused it to be cancelled for the past couple of years. So we are planning to head to Arkansas instead. We are really looking forward to seeing Rick and Amber’s new home and spending some time with them. We are planning to take the cradle that Dennis has been working on for Archer. He is currently applying the tung oil finish to it, which will take a few days to complete. We also plan to visit Dennis’ siblings in Arkansas, and come back home via Paris to see Stephen’s family. We are looking forward to getting away for several days and visiting with a lot of loved ones!

I am pretty much off of my BP medicine now. I still occasionally will take a half of my new dose if it edges up a little, but most of the time I don’t need any. I’m now down 24 pounds. Most of the time, I’m pretty satisfied with my new diet regimen. Yesterday, however, I decided to take the whole day off. I ate what I wanted and didn’t worry about getting my “steps” in. It was nice to relax a little and enjoy eating food just for the taste and emotional satisfaction. In the past, I would have let a day like that throw me off track. However, this morning, I woke up ready to get back to my new normal! I managed to complete my morning workout even though I’m not feeling too great. I’m actually enjoying my healthier eating and have found some good nutritious snacks that satisfy me. It is still a little daunting when I think about how much more I have to lose, but I’m trying to take it a day at a time and celebrate my successes.

We lost a loved one from our congregation at Eastside last week. Jimmie R. has been a member there for decades and will be sorely missed. He has struggled with lung issues for years. His graveside service was Saturday. Please keep his dear wife, Sue, in your prayers as she learns to move on without him. Bobby W, from the Hurst congregation, also passed away last week. Please pray for his wife, Becky, too.

My dryer is calling me, so I’d better skedaddle. Take care, be safe, and be kind!

No comments:

Post a Comment