Wednesday, August 18, 2021

A Hint of Fall!

Today has actually felt like fall! We have had a LOT of rain, and the temps are in the 70’s. I know we have more hot weather ahead of us before fall actually arrives, but I’m enjoying this little reprieve!

We had Stephen and Mandy’s kids for a couple of nights last week, while they took a little couple time. We really enjoyed it…and no one got sick this time! We took them out to the state park on Thursday night to look at the deer and do a little “hiking”. They had a blast! Then we got up early the next morning and drove to Glen Rose to go through the Fossil Rim Wildlife Park. The kids did so good! We all really enjoyed seeing all of the animals. Gracie particularly enjoyed feeding the giraffe!

After we got home, Dennis and the boys designed and built an obstacle course in the front yard. That kept the boys busy most of the rest of the day. It was a good way to burn off some energy after sitting in the car for hours.

Dennis has been busy building a cradle for Ricky and Amber. We are hoping he has it finished in time to carry up there when we go for Labor Day weekend. He really enjoys furniture making! It is a nice break from house renovation. His next remodeling project on the house will be the back guest room. I don’t expect it to go very fast at all. We are getting close to deer season, so he will be somewhat distracted! It will be one of the easiest remodels so far…very little structural work. He will be tearing it down to the studs, as he has everywhere else, and walling over the built-in cabinets. The door has already been enlarged, which will put him way ahead. He’ll be putting up new drywall, texturing and painting it; stripping the popcorn ceiling and retexturing it; building new shelves in the closet; laying laminate flooring like we did in the other guest room. I’ll miss it while he’s working in there! That is my exercise room, and where I go when I need some privacy (i.e. doing Zoom visits and court for CASA). Not really sure where I’m going to end up putting my stationary bike during the remodeling! (The living room is a little too public!)

My yearly checkup with my cardiologist happened to be today…during one of the heaviest rainstorms we’ve had in months! I wore socks and shoes (instead of my normal flip flops), thinking that would keep my feet warmer. Instead, they got soaked as I was going to the car to leave, so I ended up with cold wet feet all day! The first thing I did when I got home this afternoon was shuck those things off and slip on my fuzzy house shoes! But I made it to Weatherford and back safely, and my doctor was very pleased with me, so I’m thankful. I’ve recently lost 20 pounds (and really stepped up my exercise and activity level), so he was able to reduce my BP medication to ¼ of what I had been taking. Actually I had already done that…cutting my pills into fourths. He just made it “official” and gave me a prescription for a lower dose (which I’ll still have to cut in half). Every time I lose much weight, my blood pressure really drops and I get light headed. I can tell just by the way I feel when the dosage is too high. I’m hoping to be able to discontinue the medicine completely before too long. Just not quite there yet!

Well, I guess that’s about all for today. I hope everyone is doing ok. I just got word that Linda is finally home! We are all SO thankful to see her recovering! Take care, be safe, and be kind!

No comments:

Post a Comment