I had a hard time deciding on a verse to share on fb this
morning. I normally read several
chapters, a couple from the OT and a couple from the NT. Then whichever verse speaks to me the most, I
share. This morning I was reading from
James 1 and John 17, and pretty much every verse I read moved me. I love the book of James…so much practical
admonition for our lives. And of course,
John 17 is our Lord’s prayer to His Father for His disciples…including us. I finally selected the following verse and decided to expand more on why I made this selection:
Joh 17:14 I have given
them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the
world, even as I am not of the world. 15 I pray not that thou shouldest take
them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. 16 They
are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is
truth.
Jesus brought the Word of
God to mankind…in His flesh. He was the
living Word! (1Jo 1:1 That which was from the beginning, which we
have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and
our hands have handled, of the Word of life;)( Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word
was with God, and the Word was God.) Jesus wasn’t of this world but of
the Father, and He said the same would be true of His followers. The world would hate them as they hated
Him. He prayed that God would protect
them from the evil. What a comfort this
is…that Jesus interceded on our behalf for God’s protection, even before we were
even conceived! But notice that he asked
not that we be removed from this evil world.
Our place is IN this world, to be God’s ambassadors to it…to share His
Word with it…to help others escape from the evil in it.
He prayed that we would
be sanctified (to make holy, purify
or consecrate) through the truth in God’s Word.
This is something that has been on my mind a lot lately. I see and hear a lot of people who focus on
inspirational quotes, stories, videos, etc.
People’s bookshelves are filled with devotionals, “spiritual self-help”
books, and study guides of all kinds.
Many hours are spent in these devices and, it seems, more attention is
devoted to them than to the bible. I don’t
have anything against reading or watching resources that might help our
understanding, and I frequently do so.
However, this should ALWAYS be done with the idea that these are just
the writings of men. THEY are not TRUTH…only
God’s Word is that. God has graciously
provided us with “all things that pertain unto life and godliness” (2 Pet.
1:3). Our focus should be on the
simplicity of God’s word, not man’s wisdom. 2Co
1:12 For our rejoicing is this, the
testimony of our conscience, that in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with
fleshly wisdom, but by the grace of God, we have had our conversation in the
world, and more abundantly to you-ward.
We CAN be lead away and deceived by the subtle deceptions of this world. 2Co 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as
the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be
corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
We HAVE the Word of
God. God breathed it, His prophets and
Jesus’ disciples penned it, and God’s grace and providence has preserved it for
us throughout the ages. Let us TRULY
appreciate and USE it…making sure all of the nice quotes and messages that we
adopt and share are consistent with it.
Or better yet, use God’s Word for our inspiration, not man’s.
No comments:
Post a Comment