Friday, June 28, 2013

Summertime, Summertime

Whew!  We are ready for a break from this heat.  It reached 106° yesterday and is supposed to do the same today.  But a cool front is heading this way to moderate things quite a bit.  Bring it on!

I really enjoyed my day shopping with Sheila on Saturday.  We were able to find quite a few nice things for her new job.  I sure enjoy shopping for her clothes more than for mine!  We had her birthday dinner Tuesday night.  We grilled shrimp for fajitas and I made a mint chocolate chip ice cream cake for dessert.  Needless to say, I didn't lose any weight this week!

I really tried to step up my running this week.  I'd do my normal 30 minutes in the morning (up to jogging 6 minutes straight now) and then do another 30 minutes in the late evening.  I think I got too hot Wednesday night though.  I went after dark to the track and did 2 miles, but I had a headache the whole time.  The headache lasted all day yesterday, too.  Dennis had commented on how red my face was when I came home Wed. night, so he thinks it was just too hot for me to be running.  I did my running yesterday morning, but skipped last night and this morning.  Next week is supposed to be about 10° cooler, so I should be able to start back Monday.

I got another CASA case this week.  This one has 4 children in the family.  So far I have only met the children and their grandmother who is keeping them until the hearing next week.  I was told that the grandparents wanted to adopt, but she told me yesterday that they will have to go into foster care.  I was really disappointed to hear that, since it is very likely that the parents' rights will be terminated.  It will be difficult to find a permanent home for 4 siblings, 2 of which are in diapers.  This job can really be heartbreaking at times.  BUT I got a report from a Courtesy CASA in Idaho yesterday about my 2 babies that I transported up there.  They are doing wonderfully!  I am SO happy to see how well have turned out for them.  THAT is what makes this job so fulfilling!

I have a CASA fundraiser to participate in this morning which I am NOT looking forward to!  We are doing a bucket brigade.  I've done one once before (for Meals on Wheels) and I did not enjoy it.  Plus it is TOO HOT.  But I feel like I really need to do my part to help support this organization that I believe in.  So I'll lather up with sunscreen, put on a hat and go sweat it out for a couple of hours.

I hope you all have a wonderful 4th of July next week!  I can't wait for the fireworks to start!

In honor of Sheila:  Pr 31:29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.  30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. 31 Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.

No comments:

Post a Comment