Friday, November 8, 2013

Blessings abound


I’m loving this cool fall weather!  The forecast shows it getting down into the 20’s one morning next week.  I love sweater and blanket weather!

Well, I was able to exchange my defective Yoga (computer) for one that was fully functional.  I am loving it!  So far, it has done everything that I’ve needed from it, and it is so easy to use (which is something I REALLY need!).  It is portable enough to carry with me on my CASA visits, but it still works like a laptop when I want it to.  Then it can convert to a “tablet” when I want to play games or just surf the web.  For someone who has never used an Ipad or smart phone, it is quite an eye-opener to how versatile those things can be!

Last weekend Dennis headed out to Spur to do a little hunting.  He killed 4 hogs...a sow for Daddy and Bobbie to butcher, a couple of boars and a piglet…just to trim the “herd”.  They are really overrun out there!  I took advantage of him being gone on Saturday to go visit some of my kiddos in South Dallas.  That pretty much ends up taking most of a day!  Then Sheila came over and hung out that evening.

We were very pleased Sunday to see Donnie and Tammy show up at Highway!  Donnie stood in for Layne and spoke for us that morning…gave us a very good lesson on making the most of our opportunities.  It was good to see both of them again.  After services, James and Renee invited everyone over to their house for a potluck…lots of yummy food and good fellowship!
Attended a CASA roundtable on Wednesday morning.  My program director approached me when I arrived and asked if I would give a short talk at our Volunteer Banquet the next evening.  She wanted me to share the story of my babies.  I reluctantly agreed.  I am TERRIBLE at public speaking…I get so nervous and flustered!  But my babies’ story is so encouraging that I felt like it needed to be shared.  I spent HOURS working on what I wanted to say and practicing!  Of course, when I finally found myself behind the microphone, I forgot everything that I had practiced.  But I had my notes and this story is one that I can recount anytime…it holds such a special place in my heart.  I made it through without passing out or crying, so I guess it was ok.  I followed another advocate, standing off to the side at the front of the room while she told a story of one of her cases…one with a sad ending.  I wasn’t expecting it and had to try with all my might not to burst into sobs during her story! 

The banquet was wonderful.  The prime rib (my first time to try it) was wonderfully smoky and the chocolate tart was out of this world!  For entertainment, they had a very talented young woman, Abbey Cone,  sing a couple of songs for us…one that she had written.  The second song was “Nobody’s Child”, which was written about children in foster care.  It was such a moving song…I was really fighting the tears again!  She has recorded this song and donates $1 every time someone purchases it off of ITunes. Then we had a motivational speaker talk to us.  It was a very inspiring presentation, as well as entertaining.  It was a wonderful evening…and surprising!

We got deer #2 butchered and in the freezer this week.  There were three of us working on the meat and all three of us ended up with bandaged thumbs!  My freezer is quite nicely filled now.  I asked Dennis to please hold off on killing any more deer until it has time to clear out a little!  That is the nice thing about having such a long season (October – bow, Nov-Dec – gun, and then muzzleloader – January).

I have an all day symposium to attend on Monday.  It is entitled “Building Resilience:  Children and Trauma”.  It ought to be very informative.  It will entail getting an early start on my day, which will be quite a change after having Dennis off on vacation these past couple of weeks.  We have been sleeping in most days…gonna have to get back into a regular schedule!

Matthew 25:[34] Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: [35] For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: [36] Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. [37] Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? [38] When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? [39] Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? [40] And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment