Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Jesse turns ONE!

I was so thankful that we were able to make it to Jesse's 1st birthday!  I spent all day Thursday baking and decorating his cake.  Dennis and I got up early Friday morning and drove to Paris.  I could hardly believe how much Jesse had grown since Thanksgiving!  I spent the afternoon putting the finishing touches on his cake and then playing with my little guy.  Mandy had baked a chocolate cake that she put a candle on, so he could have cake ON his birthday.  (His party was the next day.)   He had learned to show how old he was, but, of course, he wouldn't perform for us when asked to.  He is also taking a couple of steps...mostly going from one piece of furniture to the next.  He is more likely to stand or walk on his own if he isn't realizing that he is doing so!  He's also learned to turn the lights off.  This is an extremely funny thing to do!  I'd hold him so he could reach the switch, he'd flip it off and just chuckle!  Hasn't quite mastered turning it back on, but I was willing to help with that.



Sheila took off early from work and arrived about suppertime Friday evening.  She stayed at Stephen and Mandy's for the night, while Dennis and I got a room.  (Us older folks rest better in our own space...plus I'm still coughing quite a bit at night.)  Ricky drove up Saturday morning...arriving late for lunch, but in time for presents!  All of the grandparents and great-grandparents (except for Daddy and Bobbie) were there, as well as a few local friends.  Jesse made quite a haul in the gift department!  The hit of the day was the batmobile that Melinda (Stephen's assistant) had made from an old Little Tyke car.  She even made a batcape for Jesse to wear.  It was so cute!  He loved it.  He hasn't learned to make the car go forward, yet, but he can scoot it backwards.  He had a LOT of fun driving around the living room (with a little help from his family)!


Sitting in his chair that Aunt Sheila gave him

Batman!

We used the top tier of Jesse's cake for his "smash cake."  He really didn't know what to do with it.  He loved the candle...trying to grab the flame, as most little ones do!  Different ones tried to "help" him by putting his fingers or hand in the cake.  He would lick a little of the icing off, but he really didn't like having messy hands!  (Stephen was the same way!)  He really enjoyed the straws that I brought to use on the cake to hold up the "ONE" banner.  Dennis would blow through the straw into Jesse's face, which would set him off giggling!  That game lasted quite a while!  The straws were also fun to bang on things with and poke with.  I love how the simplest of things are so entertaining to a little one.  On Friday afternoon, Jesse spent a good half hour playing with a cup and block...putting the block into the cup, and then taking it out.  He rarely does anything without a block or ball in his hand!




While I had the help of computer savvy folks Saturday, I finally got my Skype set up.  I hope to use it on a regular basis, so Jesse won't forget what I look like!  I feel like he is old enough now that he remembers us from one time to the next.  It is hard to tell, though, because he loves everyone!  It will be fun, though, to see him and hear all of the new things he is learning from week to week.  He is at such a fun age right now.  I hate to miss any of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment