Saturday, June 20, 2015

Hill Country, Project start, and Fun with Family

What a week!  We spent last weekend in the Hill County.  We drove down to Copperas Cove on Friday night, got up early the next morning, and spent almost 10 hours driving around looking at the scenery and wildlife.  First stop was Colorado Bend State Park.  Turns out that it is really more of a hiking park, which we didn't have time to do.  We drove through it, down to the river, and got some good pictures of some of the local deer.  I want to go back sometime in the early spring or late fall and hike down to Gorman Falls.  The pictures I've seen and descriptions I've read make me definitely want to go on that adventure!

After finishing up there, we heading to San Saba.  We have always loved to go there to buy pecans.  The San Saba Pecan Company is a GREAT place to shop!  You get to sample all of their wares and pick out what you like best.  We ended up with 10 pounds of pecans (in the shell) and a jar of Strawberry Jalapeno Pecan Preserves.  YUM!

From there, we headed down to Fredericksburg.  There were WAY too many people sightseeing in town, so we just headed out to the Wildseed Farms.  I loved it!  We spent a couple of hours looking at all of the gorgeous flowers.  Dennis was able to get some beautiful pictures of the flora and fauna.  As you can imagine, butterflies were everywhere!  If you are ever in the Fredericksburg area, I highly recommend stopping by.  We didn't spend a penny, but had a great time!  (I sure was tempted to buy a pomegranate bush though!)

By time we left there, it was time to head on over to New Braunfels for my visit.  We made one more stop on the way at Blanco.  The state park was closed due to cleanup efforts from their recent flood.  But the river is one of the prettiest I've ever seen.  That is another spot that I want to return to visit!

We then had our visit with my youngest CASA baby and his new family.  They were so nice and welcoming!  We spent almost two hours chatting with them.  I was so happy to see him in such a wonderful, loving home!

We ended up in Universal City for the night.  Had a relaxed evening in our motel room and rested up from the day.  Then the next morning, we went over to meet with the church in Schirtz.  We enjoyed visiting with all of them there.  They all go out to eat together for lunch, so we joined them and extended our visit.

Monday morning, our contractor came out and got the new driveway staked out.  Dennis got all of the permits taken care of and work started the next morning.  They got the curb cut out and the end of the driveway graded out.  Then Wednesday morning, Tropical storm Bill showed up, so no more work was done this week!  Thankfully, the rains didn't wash anything away...it just got it all compacted and settled.

For our Date Night on Tuesday, we decided to go watch "Jurassic World".  I couldn't believe the crowds it generated!  It was Dennis' first 3D movie.  He enjoyed the movie, but NOT the 3D glasses!

Last night, Sheila and I had Girls' Night Out.  I had bought tickets to go watch Rodger's and Hammerstein's "Cinderella" over at the Fair Park Music Hall.  Dennis dropped me off at Sheila's workplace at quitting time.  (He then headed over to visit with Bryan in the hospital.)  We went to a sushi bar close to her job that is a buffet.. with more kinds of sushi than I've ever seen!  It was scrumptious!  Then for dessert they had some little bitty crème brulees.  Perfect!  Then Sheila braved the Dallas traffic to reach our destination.  The show was GREAT!  I loved it!  It was my first Broadway-type show that I've seen.  All of the other live plays that I've watched were community theatre (except for the Nutcracker Ballet).  I was so impressed with the sets and direction and performances!  I am a BIG fan of the old R & H's "Cinderella" movie, but I enjoyed this version even more!

Today was our Putman Reunion.  We had a pretty good turnout this year...with a lot of little ones!  There were only 4 of Momma's generation there (unless you count Daddy, which would make it 5).  That makes me kind of sad.  You can easily see the aging process in them each year.  But seeing the great-grandbabies running around playing was great.  The youngest one is the foster-to-adopt child of my cousin's son and his wife.  She was adorable!  She pretty much stole the heart of everyone there!  It was good to see everyone!  I think my favorite moment was when I was told that I was "still cute as a bug."  That is the ONLY place that statement would be made!  Family...ya gotta luv'em!

That about wraps up what's been going on here.  Hope the storms didn't wash any of y'all away!

No comments:

Post a Comment