Thursday, June 11, 2015

Time to break ground!

Things have been pretty busy around here.  Dennis has trimmed most of the limbs on our big mulberry tree and we've hauled all of that brush to the dump.  (We still have the uppermost branches, which are not a priority right now.)  We also cut back the yaupon tree by the front door and hauled it off.  Then we started on the shrubs that are left in the back yard.  They had a lot of trash trees growing amongst them and hadn't been trimmed in a couple of years.  It had gotten so bad that we could barely make it through the gate leading into the back yard!  We got all of that trimmed back (which added about 5-6 feet to our yard!).  All in all, we've hauled about 25 loads of brush to the dump!  Sure glad we've been having nice weather, so we could get all of this done!

Dennis is supposed to talk to the Oncor guy tomorrow about rerouting our electrical lines, so we can start on our new construction.  We emptied out our old shed yesterday.  Our contractor is supposed to haul it off for his son.  Glad someone can get some use out of it.  We'll have to store all of that stuff in the garage until the shop is completed, so my car will have to get used to sitting outside for awhile.  We threw away a LOT of junk that we pulled out of the shed!  Found some things we forgot we had, too. We plan to break ground on Monday, Lord willing!  (Right now the forecast shows rain for early week, so we may have to postpone a few days.)  First thing to be done is pouring a new driveway on the south end of our lot, that will lead back to the new shop.  We have always wanted more parking, so the kids won't have to park on the street all the time.  Pretty exciting stuff!

I had another CASA case closed today...one that I've been on for 2 solid years!  I hope that the family will do well now that they've gone through so many services.  I do NOT want to see them back "in the system"!  That leaves me with just 2 open cases...and only 2 babies.  That is the least I've ever had!  I'm not planning to take on any more for several months.  Dennis and I want to enjoy this time together and focus on the work we have to do around here.  After our big fall vacation, I will be ready to take on another case or two.  After three very busy years of being an advocate, I also feel like I need a short "breather".  Things can get pretty intense at times.

We leave tomorrow for our short trip to the Hill Country, Lord willing.  I'm looking forward to touring the country roads and looking for deer.  I'm also excited to see my CASA baby down there and meet his new foster family. 

Next Friday night, Sheila and I plan to go watch Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Cinderella" at the Fair Park Music Hall in Dallas.  I'm SO EXCITED!!!  When I was growing up, the old R&H movie was my favorite.  I love the songs...especially "In My Own Little Corner".  I really identified with it.  I spent a lot of time by myself as a child, with Momma being sick all the time and Daddy working 2-3 jobs.  I had my own little imaginary world and made up all kinds of adventures.  I'm looking forward to seeing the live version on stage.  I hope I don't embarrass Sheila by singing along during the performance!

That pretty much sums up what all is going on around here.  How is the summer treating you?

No comments:

Post a Comment