It has been a very busy week! Last Friday, we went to the Saginaw house to pick up a couple of hutches that family wanted to keep. Teddy called me Thursday night to tell me there was a LOT of stuff left out on the curb. We loaded down Dennis' pickup Friday morning and had to call my nephew, Chad, to bring his over to pick up the rest before 1:00 on Saturday. Then we had to offload everything when we got back home, to get the hutch for my cousin (one hutch didn't survive, sadly), break it all down, and reload the truck for Dennis to haul it to the dump. My cousin came over Saturday afternoon and picked up his, so we only had to store it overnight. (So thankful to have a nice size garage!) But we FINALLY got the house EMPTY!
Teddy had the open house on Saturday. They had a good turnout and ended up with several offers. The highest offer wasn't what we were hoping for, but it was high enough to accept...and we can close on the 31st. I've been busy all week taking care of things for that, as well as a couple of other matters that have come to my attention that needed dealing with. Daddy finally heard from the insurance company that carried his cancer policy, and they refuse to pay, because their policy is that claims have to be filed within a 2 year window (it has been over 8 years). That was a disappointment, but not unexpected. My biggest gripe is that they had told me to file on it, so I went to a lot of time and effort to get everything together to do so...then they deny it! Ugh!
Tonette found a document and gave it to me this week on Daddy's teacher's retirement benefits. It looks like he never sent them a death certificate when Momma died, which would have affected what he draws every month. So I've written them a letter, including a copy of Mom's death certificate, to see if they will increase the amount of his monthly check and possibly pay retroactively for the past 11 years. I don't know if they will after this much time passing, but it is definitely worth a try!
Bobbie has been in rehab for the past week. She can't do any weight bearing exercise with her bad arm, but they have been trying to build the strength back up in her legs. She has gotten so weak lately! The rehab doctor wants her to stay until the 23rd, but the folks have made up their minds to leave tomorrow. Daddy has been staying over there with her night and day, sleeping in a recliner, even though the facility is only a 5 minute drive from Brookdale! Did we try to talk him out of it? Of course! Did he listen to us? Of course not! We still have some fallout to deal with because of what all that entailed.
Daddy had two doctor appointments this week and Bobbie had one. He saw his orthopedic doctor for a follow up on his MRI. He has several places in his spine where the nerve is being pinched. The doctor is referring him to a specialist to see if he is eligible for a procedure that will go in (using a scope) and shave away some of the bone to relieve pressure on the nerve. It would be outpatient with no down time. His new primary care doctor found a couple of skin cancers and some "possibles", so he is referring him to a dermatologist to have them removed. I was impressed with the new primary care doctor that Daddy decided to go to. I wasn't happy about him switching (again) from the service that came to Brookdale, but I was very happy with this new doctor. If I continue to like what I see, Dennis and I may change to him. Our doctor is wanting to retire...just trying to find a buyer for his practice. I'd rather find someone we like, who is young, rather than just taking whoever decides to buy out Dr. Reeve's practice!
Bobbie went to a GI doctor, who is going to have to scope her to determine where she is bleeding internally. She has evidently been having a slow bleed or bleeding off and on somewhere in her GI tract that has caused her to be pretty anemic. It seems to be one thing after another.....
Dennis is making nice progress on the kitchen cabinets. The west wall is about done. He's been doing cabinet doors and painting all week on that side. Now he is starting on the sink-side of the kitchen. It has quite a few more doors to do! We do have the dining room put back together though. I'm really enjoying that! Besides looking much nicer, we can actually sit more than two people down at a time to eat. Many days, we ended up standing at the kitchen counter or eating in the living room.
For Mother's Day, Sheila came over and spent the night. She took us out to eat supper on Saturday, since I really don't like fighting the crowds on Mother's Day. Then Sunday, Ricky came over and the four of us fixed tacos for dinner. It was a great day!
Next Tuesday, we plan to go to Paris and spend the night on our way to the meeting at Salem Rd. Sure looking forward to seeing our boys! We also need to meet with Stephen about our investments and getting something set up for the money that Daddy makes on the house sale. We'll be heading on up to Warren and Linda's on Wednesday. I'm not sure how long we'll be staying though. We'd like to stay all weekend, but we never know when we'll need to be here for some "crisis" with the folks. Tonette will be home that weekend to fill in, if needed, but there are some things that I have to handle myself. Our travels will be greatly curtailed for a good while, I think. The folks are planning to go with us to the summer meeting. We aren't sure they will be up for it...waiting until it is a bit closer to make that determination. When Sheila and I go to Vietnam, I'm going to have to tell my brother that it is HIS turn to take over for those 2-3 weeks! I will be turning my phone OFF! (So if you are reading this, Rodney, be forewarned!)
Guess that's about it for now. Have a great weekend, and I hope these spring storms pass you by unscathed! (So far, we've not had any damage!)


No comments:
Post a Comment