Friday, May 5, 2017

Update


Things are going pretty well.  The guys have been working on trim, mostly.  They also got my light fixture put up over my kitchen sink.  Unfortunately the globe had been broken in transit and we didn’t check it when it was delivered…months ago.  So I’ve ordered a replacement, which will take a couple of weeks to arrive.  So I have light, but it lacks somewhat in aesthetics for now.  The dining room is SO close to being finished (except for the window seat…which will be pretty labor intensive).  I’m not wanting to post pictures until it looks finished.  Hopefully that will be next week.  The entryway should also be completed next week.  The kitchen will take longer, since Dennis still has to do the cabinet doors.  It is really exciting to see everything coming together!

Bobbie is still struggling with her elbow.  She has developed a pressure sore on it now and is going to a wound care specialist to deal with that.  Both folks have several doctors’ appointments coming up over the next couple of weeks.  Daddy has been having hip pain and is seeing a specialist for that, plus he is changing primary care doctors.  Bobbie has to see several specialists for “routine maintenance”. 

We had a good outing with the folks last Saturday.  We went over to see if they wanted to go for a drive in the country.  They were excited to go with us!  We drove out around Brock, showing them where different folks from church lived.  We stopped in to visit with Alena for a few minutes.  I thought it would do them, and her, good.  Alena is totally housebound and is totally dependent on others for everything since her stroke a couple of years ago.  She was very happy and upbeat during our visit though.  I know it has been a hard adjustment for her to adapt to her new lifestyle, but she seems to have learned to be happy…even with her challenges.  Before taking them back to Brookdale, we stopped at the DQ for ice cream cones.  I think we all enjoyed our little outing!

Sunday was our monthly potluck and singing.  Koh was our guest speaker.  We really enjoyed having him and his sweet family as guests!  James and Renee graciously opened their home for the potluck.  We had a nice turnout and a lot of fun.  The morning assembly was amazing, as was the afternoon singing.  It was a great day all around!

Later that evening, we found out that Sherrod and Anita’s house had caught fire due to the high winds blowing the electrical lines into some tree limbs.  It was contained in the hall closet where the a/c and heater is housed.  If their son-in-law, Eddie, hadn’t been there, it would have engulfed the gas lines and the whole house would have gone up!  He did exactly what needed to be done, in just the right time, to save everything.  They were without electricity for several days while the electrician did repairs.  They stayed with family during that time and brought their freezers and cold foods over here to keep.  They really came out very well, considering how bad it could have been!  So thankful that everyone was ok and they didn’t lose anything!

The estate sale is going on this weekend.  I’m not going over there…the liquidators prefer not having the family around.  I can’t wait to hear how it goes!  The pictures they took looked really nice.  They did a great job cleaning everything up!  Next week I’ll need to clear out a couple of hutches that belong to family members and check out some paperwork that they found and thought needed my attention.  It will sure seem strange to see that house empty!

We spent Wednesday night in Allen, so we could attend Eldon’s funeral.  Since it was at 10:00 am, we didn’t want to have to get up early and fight morning rush hour traffic.  Bobbie D. seemed to be doing very well.  She had such a good attitude about everything.  Eldon had been declining for years, and she knew he was ready to go.  It was nice to see old friends that we don’t get to visit often.

I’m spending the day at Sheila’s tomorrow.  She signed up for an online transracial adoption “boot camp” and asked if I wanted to participate with her.  I think it will be pretty helpful with both of my grandsons from overseas.  She also wants to take me to an Ethiopian restaurant close to her apartment.  We normally do Vietnamese, but I’ve never eaten Ethiopian before.  I would like to learn more about Shepherd’s native land’s food.  I have to do things like that when I’m not with Dennis.  He isn’t a very adventurous eater! 

Well, that’s what’s been going on here.  I hope to be able to share pictures with you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment