We had a wonderful Lord’s Day yesterday! It was one of those
days when everything seems to “click”.
Dennis spoke yesterday morning on a subject that is very relevant in
this day and time. Back in the 80’s, we were good friends with Thelma Holloman,
who was constantly saying, “As the world goes, so goes the church.” Over the
years, we have noticed how right she was in her assessment! With all of the
upheaval in our nation, the anger and hatred and unkindness, we are seeing
signs of this even among ourselves, so Dennis decided it was time to address
the subject. It was an excellent and very timely study! We cannot allow
ourselves to get caught up in the worldly attitudes that surround us. Our focus
should remain on the spiritual…NOT the political!
For lunch, we had everyone over for our monthly potluck.
Dennis and I had spent 3 days working on the house…getting things cleaned and
ready. Tools were all put up in the
workshop (hallelujah!), the china cabinet was moved into the living room from
the den (and everything taken out and given a good cleaning), everything in the
den was taken down and washed (the den has been neglected during all of our
construction, as it has been used as overflow storage…so it was a MESS!),
leaves were put in the dining room table and our folding table was brought out
and set up, and the French doors between the living room and den were opened to
allow more space. We had a smaller crowd than usual, about 20 of us. Everything
went well, and we all really enjoyed our extra time together. It felt REALLY
good to entertain again. It has been far too long!
Last night was our monthly song service. We always have a
reading about half way through the singing, so Marlin chose Colossians 3. I
love that chapter! It is absolutely FULL of good things for us to understand
and implement into our lives. It fit perfectly with the study of the
morning: how we should put away the
carnal things and put on the spiritual, how we are to work together in love as
a body, and specific admonitions for different walks of life. Plus the songs
that were led also flowed with the “theme of the day”. As someone once said, it
was an “AWWWWWW!” kind of day, where you feel the heavens open up and the
Spirit of God moving amongst us. I love how God has orchestrated how the
assembly should be: our weekly gathering
together to edify one another, singing songs of praise and devotion, remembering
the sacrifice of our Savior, and the sweet fellowship we enjoy. As Sister Joyce
used to always say, “it recharges our batteries” for the coming week.
Today is a day of rest for Dennis and me! I have a really
full schedule for Wednesday, and afterwards I’ll start gearing up for Labor Day
weekend and all of its activities. Daddy has NO doctor appointments this week.
We are enjoying cooler temperatures, thanks to Harvey, as well as some
beneficial rain (NOT the deluge that south Texas has experienced). As far as I’ve
heard, no one that I know has suffered any real damage from the hurricane, for
which I am profoundly thankful! I hope that continues and the week goes well
for you all.
No comments:
Post a Comment