Another Labor Day Weekend come and gone. Dennis and I have been attending the Young Family's gathering for 17 years. We were talking about it last night, and Nicole was pregnant with Ryan the first time we went...he is now a junior in high school! We haven't been able to make every one during that time, but we've been to most of them...and enjoyed every one. We still miss Verlie and having all of the activities centered at her home, but we love how the family is keeping the tradition alive. It is a lot of hard work, and we really appreciate all that Kay and Kit and their girls, Kyle and Nicole, and others, do to make it possible.
I rented a hotel room for the folks, so they could have a close place to go back to when they needed to rest. It took some persuading, but I finally talked Daddy into letting us drive them over there. Between us and Tonette and Darlene (Bobbie's sister-in-law), who had a room just a couple of doors down from them, we had plenty of people to provide transportation for them. They really enjoyed the weekend and held up better than last year, since they didn't have to travel back and forth.
It was a smaller crowd than usual, partially due to the "gasoline crisis" and partially due to Rebecca's wedding. However, we did have a nice surprise yesterday, when a group from Spunky Creek showed up on their way home from the wedding! Jensen P. gave an excellent lesson yesterday morning on being "Strangers and Pilgrims". Then Jamie P. gave his "More Holiness Give Me" lesson which meshed with it perfectly! I love hearing both of these "young" men speak. It gives me great hope for the future!
Of course, we had WAY too much food all weekend! Besides the meals that everyone pitched in to provide, there were yummy snacks that beckoned throughout the day. I don't think I'll step on the scales for awhile! Daddy has always made his fried rice for the Sunday potluck, but since he was staying in a hotel, he wanted me to make it for him. He has been making it for years, helping Momma and then taking it over when she passed away. The recipe was brought to the family by my Uncle Billy's first wife, Akiko, from Japan. It has always been a crowd pleaser. Of course, Daddy didn't think I made it as good as he does!
Dennis and I decided to drive back and forth all weekend, since I'd rather do my cooking at home rather than carry everything with me. That added to the exhaustion factor of the weekend, but at least we were able to sleep in our own bed. We did call it a night early on Saturday and were home by 9 pm. I'm just not able to hold up to late night "partying" like I used to be able to do. I'm looking forward to just taking it easy today...doing what little I need to do around the house.
I have a pretty busy schedule this week (after today!) and next week, but the following Saturday (the 16th) begins our vacation. We are REALLY looking forward to getting away for several days and enjoying the peace and beauty of the Grand Canyon! We also have plans to visit with Lawrence and Sharon on our way out. Looking forward to our time with them, too!
Well, I saved my clean-up from the weekend for today, so I'd best get at it! Happy Labor Day to all!
No comments:
Post a Comment