Thursday, September 28, 2017

Doctor visits and adoption travel plans!


It has been a busy week since we returned from our vacation.  I had a lot of catching up to do on Monday:  paying bills, doing laundry, buying groceries, etc.  Tuesday, I had to take Daddy to a doctor appointment in Ft. Worth. That turned into quite the adventure! We were making good time and should have arrived early. Daddy told me where the doctor’s office was, so I dropped them off at the door and then hunted down a parking space. When I finally made it to the lobby, Daddy told me his doctor’s name wasn’t on the list of doctors in the building. So I used the GPS on my phone to find out exactly where his office was. I went back to get the car, and as I was driving up to the front of the building, I saw Daddy and Bobbie getting in someone else’s car!!! I honked until they looked up and noticed me. Then they crawled out of the stranger’s car and came and got in mine, like nothing had happened out of the way. When I asked if the driver of the other car had said anything about them getting in, Daddy said he was there to pick someone up…so I guess it was an Uber driver. I came “that close” to losing the folks!

We made it to the correct office building and the rest of the visit was uneventful. I got the folks back to Brookdale just in time for lunch. I had a couple of errands to run, so I just dropped them off and then returned a couple of hours later to take them to Daddy’s appointment with the kidney doctor. He was quite concerned about Daddy’s declining kidney function. It has dropped 20% points since June and is borderline for stage 4 kidney failure. He tweaked his meds to take some of the strain off of his kidneys and told him to push the water and cut out salt. He also ordered a renal ultrasound and more bloodwork. We go back in 4 weeks.

Yesterday, I had a CASA visit to observe in Ft. Worth, which took all morning. Afterwards I met up with Sheila for lunch, and we spent the whole time discussing arrangements for our upcoming trip to Vietnam. Since she was issued her Article 5 on Monday, we could be leaving within a month’s time! So we are getting our visa applications ready to be sent off and getting our typhoid shots on Monday. I plan to talk to my doctor next week about getting something for anxiety…just in case…for the 24 hour plane ride. I’ve flown commercially 5 times in my life:  once to Houston from Dallas and back (1 hour each way), once from St. Louis to DFW (about an hour), and once to Spokane, then from Seattle to DFW (about 3 hours each). The trip to Washington and back was the only time that I didn’t have anxiety about flying. I may do fine on this trip, but it is better to be safe than sorry on a trip like that!

Today, Daddy had two more doctor appointments. This morning we saw his primary care doctor and this afternoon, his dermatologist/plastic surgeon. He is going to have his skin cancer on his nose removed in 3 weeks, then have a skin graft the next day. He goes to see an interventional cardiologist in a week and a half because of the leaky valves in his legs. Then he’ll go see our dentist at the end of October. That should get him pretty much caught up! (Of course, with this kidney failure, we will probably be seeing the nephrologist pretty regularly after that!)

Tomorrow, I don’t have anything scheduled! That will let me get caught up on housework. Then Saturday morning, we are leaving for Shreveport. We’ll pick up Sheila on the way. Dennis is holding them a short meeting this weekend. We are looking forward to visiting with all of them!

Daddy and Bobbie are leaving on the 4th to go to Spur for their homecoming. Tonette is taking them. They will stay through the weekend. Bobbie is really looking forward to that trip! That same weekend is Sheila’s adoption shower. Stephen and Mandy and the boys are coming. We are going to celebrate Shepherd’s 3rd birthday, too. Sure looking forward to seeing my boys! I have really been missing them lately!

So that’s what is going on around here. What’s happening where you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment