Sunday, October 8, 2017

Hoping for a little time to recuperate!


It has been a busy week and a half since my last post! We made our trip to Shreveport and enjoyed our visit with the folks there. There were just the locals, since others who might have visited were either at the Ole Time Camp Meeting or on other travels. But we enjoyed our visit with old friends. Dot was only able to come on Sunday. She is now living in an assisted living facility. She looks good (as always) but time has definitely made a mark on her body and mind. It was good to have Sheila with us on the trip. Spending hours together in the car is a great way to catch up on some quality conversation.

Monday morning, I had to meet up with Sheila in FW to get our typhoid vaccine at the health clinic. Then I spent a good chunk of the day on the phone trying to work out another “issue” with Daddy’s business. He had received a check in Momma’s name the week before from the same insurance as the cancer policy that he’d had (and we’d finally gotten payment from). There wasn’t an explanation letter with the check, so we couldn’t figure out what it was for. I told him NOT to try to cash it until I had time to check and see what it was for and IF he was eligible to cash it. It took a lot of time, talking to 3 different people, to finally make them understand that my mother had been deceased for 11 years and I needed to know if my dad could cash the check (it was for overpayment of premiums). Evidently she had also had a cancer policy that Daddy had forgotten about and continued to pay premiums for, and he had never notified them of her death. So they asked for us to send back the (voided) check, along with a letter of explanation and a copy of her death certificate. They will refigure how much has been overpaid and reissue a check to my dad. So he will be getting another nice check from insurance that he didn’t know he had. All of these “found” monies that we’ve worked on discovering and getting reimbursement for have really made a huge difference in Daddy’s level of financial security.

Tuesday morning, Dennis and I had an appointment with our new primary care doctor. We ended up spending ALL morning in his office. They had just been bought out by a new company (the day before) and were having to install and learn a new computer system (THAT day), so everything took a LONG time! Then that afternoon I worked on getting things ready for Daddy’s meds for their trip to Spur. I use tiny Ziploc bags that I label and sort out for each day and time and which meds are given at each given time. It takes a good while to get them all ready! Then first thing Wednesday morning, I went to Brookdale to get his meds and put them in the appropriate bags. Tonette left with them about 9:30. They went by Abilene to have lunch with Wallace and Linda. Then Thursday they went to see Ted and Carol. They should be on their way back home by now.

Wednesday afternoon, I baked Shepherd’s birthday cookies, then decorated them on Thursday. My royal icing was giving me trouble…not setting up hard. So I didn’t finish all of the details on the zebras until Friday morning. Then I had to transport them in a single layer, since the icing was still sticky.  But they made the trip fine, and the boys loved them! We got to Stephen and Mandy’s about 4 Friday afternoon. Sheila arrived about 30 minutes later. We had a feast that Mandy had prepared for the occasion! We all enjoyed playing with the boys until they (reluctantly) had to go to bed. Then Sheila headed off to Arkansas to attend Brother Ross’ funeral Saturday morning. We stayed the night in Paris and got one more short visit with the boys on Saturday morning before heading home. (Sheila’s adoption shower ended up being postponed until this next Saturday because of the funeral. So instead of Stephen’s family coming to MW for the shower, we decided it would work better for us to travel to them, so Sheila could make it to Malvern Saturday morning. We had planned to attend the funeral, but other things came up that needed our attention.)

Ricky had some health issues arise early Thursday morning and spent a couple of days in ICU. I was there from about 4:00 am until about 7:30, until they got him out of the ER and settled into ICU. After eating breakfast and cleaning up, Dennis and I headed back up there for a couple of hours. I was trying to be there with him during visiting hours as much as I could while trying to get everything ready for going to Paris. He got out of the hospital Saturday morning and moved back home when we got back from Paris. He is feeling much better, but needs a little extra support right now.

Today was our first time back at Highway in 4 weeks! It was good to be home. Things have been pretty crazy lately, and I’m not sure they are going to get any better for the foreseeable future. Next Sunday is the shower that the HC congregation is throwing for Sheila and Nam. Then 2 weeks from that is our meeting. Sheila and Jessica and I could be leaving for Vietnam at any time after that (or possibly even before). The HW bunch is going to start thinking I’m just a visitor with all of this running around!

Daddy has a doctor’s appointment and his renal ultrasound on Tuesday. Then I have my 3 hour visit to observe in FW on Wednesday. Sheila’s shower is Saturday morning. I also need to start doing some baking (and freezing) for the meeting. I’m HOPING I actually have time to do a little housework in between everything else! My house has definitely been neglected of late.

Hope your week goes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment